Featured Majolica Trinket Box (Lobster/Crab): circa? ID maker's mark? Palissy? Portuguese?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jason Pferdeort, Jun 17, 2019.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

the one in the first link has hinges, but that is only one I could find with a quick search:)

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Never saw a hinged Tiffany box in enamel. Live near Ocean City but have only seen Plastic boxes and a few metal boxes like yours. None as nice as yours with the enameling on it.
    greg

3. Jason Pferdeort

Jason Pferdeort Active Member

The box is 6 1/2" L

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Jason Pferdeort

Hi @cxgirl - thank you very much for the two links! I find it interesting that the number of the hinged piece in your link is 8838 and the number on my box is 8839. This leads me to think that - if in a far off scenario - this box is Tiffany then the number is not a sequential number of pieces produced. Rather it would be information pertaining to mold #, worker #, material, etc... sometimes each number represents a different piece of information. Or it could be the 8,839th piece in a line of production - but that would mean there are 8,839+ pieces out there and one would think with our combined searches one would show up. I also think the 8838 marked on the bottom of the "rare" piece shown in the first link is sequential production. It is also interesting that piece marked 8838 is of the same style and is also of the ocean theme. Just thoughts.
    tiffany hinged piece.jpg

5. Jason Pferdeort

Hi @gregsglass - thank you for giving some insights on products near OC NJ. I love that place - many fond memories from my childhood!

judy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  6. Jason Pferdeort

Oh - and I noticed the marking on the bottom of the box in the second link. This is the first marking from LCT that uses the font used on the marking on the bottom of this lobster/crab box. There is a L with a swirl bottom left; a bold C; and an uncrossed T with a swirl at the top right. Again, just my thoughts:
    tiffany marking - similar font.jpg
    MARK.jpg

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  7. Jason Pferdeort

Oh - and who etches a number onto a hinge? "590/23"

judy and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Don't forget that penmanship used to be a graded school subject & students were taught a particular style of cursive that was practiced repeatedly, with the goal of making your own handwriting match the model. Palmer method was a popular one:

[​IMG]

I was taught to make upper case Ts the way the one on your beautiful box is written; capital F the same with a little cross bar.

I don't know if your seafood box is Tiffany, but do think it's very high quality.

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

maybe send some photos to high end auction houses and see what they say?

Lucille.b, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  10. Jason Pferdeort

Good call about cursive style lettering. I've sent an e-mail to a guy that seems to be well versed in Tiffany markings. I'd like to be certain it is not Tiffany. I will post his reply here for everyone to see. If it adds light to the maker an date of the box then I'll try to research further. If not, I'll send some photos to auction houses as suggested. If in the end nothing is determined then it will go back up on the shelf until the next time I'm in the mood for its shinanigans! ;) Thank you everyone for your time and input. Also thank you for the compliments on the box.

11. Jason Pferdeort

This just in from Philip Chasen Antiques. He wrote an excellent article on Tiffany marks and numbering system which led me to believe he is well versed on the subject. IT'S LOUIS COMFORT TIFFANY! I've attached a screen shot of his response. Thank you so much antiquers.com community! I never would have thought that swirl was a "T" until it was mentioned on this thread. That information was a game changer! Now, what value does it hold? I'm going to check that #8838 hinged box posted earlier. That will be a starting point. Also, I'll send some photos to some high end auction houses as suggested. Soethby's? Morphy's? any suggestions? LCT - Philip E-mail.jpg

12. Jason Pferdeort

Oh - I found this information on Philip's blog - it was informative and I wanted to share it since some questions revolved around the numbering system. TIFFANY NUMBERS.jpg tiffany numbers 2.jpg

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wow, Jason, wonderful news!

14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I second what AJ said above:)
    I have no experience with selling items through a high-end auction house, maybe send photos to a few of them and see what they say?

15. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the definite ID of Tiffany.

I was afraid to say it was, but had a very strong suspicion.

I think the 8839 on yours is a model number and follows after the model 8838 that cxgirl found.
    So date would be about the same. 1897 or 98.

I think I would contact Sotheby's.
    From your belt buckle that you posted.
    upload_2019-6-19_17-34-31.png

judy, UncleChuckTX, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I should have put this info with the link, the hinged box in the live auctioneers link sold for $125,000.00 April 2016:jawdrop:

Aquitaine, Bronwen, judy and 5 others like this.
  17. Jason Pferdeort

The dealer who verified the mark on the box tried to explain the $125,000 hinged piece realized price as "2 wealthy, determined individuals who got carried away." He is pushing to buy it from me but he said if I was talking 6 figures that I was being unrealistic. He never said 5 figures was unrealistic! ;) He has pushed me twice to state a reasonable price and he would buy on the spot. I wish he would have given me a clue as to what is reasonable - but he wouldn't say anything about its value. I told him in times like these I do not move in haste. Shoot - I spent five years working on IDing the box (granted only here and there - but I never gave up on it) I'm not going to sell it without some thorough research. If it is covetable enough maybe selling it at auction would be best. Maybe I'd get lucky and there would be 2 wealthy, determined people to get carried away bidding!

Figtree3, Aquitaine, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

You are smart to take your time Jason:) you never know, maybe there are 3 wealthy people waiting to bid on something like this:)

Aquitaine, Bronwen, dgbjwc and 4 others like this.
  19. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Whoa, awesome ID work everyone!!! And fantastic result, Jason! :)

Bronwen, judy and Jason Pferdeort like this.
  20. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I just found this thread...Fascinating !!! I love the box...congrats..Jason!

Bronwen, judy and Jason Pferdeort like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted