Maker of modernist glass candle holders?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Anyone recognize the maker of these candle holders? They have thumb sized indentations which give it that "wavy" look when photographed, in real life a bit less wild looking. Third photo (of base) looking down the side you can see it a bit better. Fairly heavy, over 1 1/2 lbs each. All thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

blue1.jpg blue2.jpg blue3.jpg

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

European, not American

If someone has the book 20th Century Glass, I think something like this is pictured. My copy is at the store.

scoutshouse and Lucille.b like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Thanks, Cluttered. Maybe someone has the book handy. Would be curious if they were in there. Much appreciated.

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That blue brought Czech glass to mind . They look 80s-90s to me ? By the way , LOVE Lacroix waters !

Lucille.b and scoutshouse like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Lucille,
    The candlesticks aren't, but I think there is a vase with those blobby melty things.
    I'm thinking English or Scandinavian.

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

They remind me of some Aseda Glass decanters that I've seen.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not Sklo or British - base is all wrong for Sklo. Probably Scandi.

8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Sklo...
    Vakian?

They look hollow - maybe vases, not candle holders?

Lucille.b likes this.
  9. Lucille.b

Thanks for the great replies everyone. :)

Actually Scoutshouse, you bring up a point. I forgot to mention that they are sort of "hollow" inside. There is a lot of glass overall as they are just 4" high and 1.5 pounds each, but they are fairly hollow. The top opening is about the size of a candle, and since they were sold together I assumed candle holders, but that space inside did give me pause.

10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I thought vases as well . Doesn't seem practical as candle holders .

Lucille.b likes this.
  11. scoutshouse

It does look similar to Whitefriars (thanks, Ownedby!) knobblies. But Whitefriars have finished tops and different piercings... you might find better keywords there, though?

pierced crimped cased 60s vase / combinations

(they're really gorgeous!)

Attached Files:

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Pavel Hlava, Jan Beranek, Skrdlovice come to mind.

Lucille.b and desperate_fun like this.
  13. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

@anundverkaufen

I was thinking Beranek and Skrdlovice as well. I did a couple quick searches and came up empty. I know I have seen that form before somewhere.

Lucille.b and anundverkaufen like this.
  14. desperate_fun

Well,

I just scrolled through 14 years of Beranek line drawings (Late 40's to early 60's) Beranek utilized that "Thumbprint" (Pull) quite a bit in the mid to late part of the 50's

I saw a few that were close to yours and was starting to lean towards your pieces being Beranek but something just didn't seem right. I went back to google and did some searches for Beranek Vases and noticed the difference that was bothering me.

If you take a look at the images below and look at how the top of the vase is finished. It is somewhat flat and then rounded inward (Damn I hope that makes sense) That top rim is fairly consistent with Beranek vases. It appears to me anyway, your vases are lacking that feature.

Long story short, I would say that these are not Beranek. This is just my opinion and I have been wrong before LOL

beranek.jpg

Beranek2.jpg

Lucille.b and anundverkaufen like this.
  15. Lucille.b

@desperate_fun

I hadn't realized there were additional responses to this post, for some reason didn't get a notification by email. Anyway, just saw it and wanted to thank you for taking such a careful, detailed look and offering comparisons.

I'm no expert in Beranek, but I agree the photos of the tops are a bit different. Also, the Beraneks seem a bit higher end.

Not sure if these are candle holders or matching small vases, but I do think they might be Scandinavian.

I very much appreciate all of the responses. Thank you all!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  16. scoutshouse

Where can we see these drawings?! :)

LB, I don't think yours compare unfavorably to the Beraneks - just not photographed as well.

Lucille.b likes this.
  17. desperate_fun

@scoutshouse

I downloaded them from some museum website. If you would like them, message me your emailaddress and I can send them to you. (I think there is about 13 or 14 files)

Lucille.b likes this.
  18. desperate_fun

@Lucille.b

Glad I could offer a bit of help. I agree with scouts that yours are nicely done as well.

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted