Featured Makers mark on silver brooch, any ideas please?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by skerry, Nov 29, 2017.

1. skerry

skerry Active Member

Good morning,

I have a mystery makers mark on a silver brooch that I need help with please. I have spent hours online looking for the makers mark VA for this piece but with no joy.

I know the other marks are for London import, 925, and a date mark which I believe is for london 1983. It is a very well made piece and I am wanting to sell it but I don't like to sell anything unless I can give the potential buyer all the information that I can about the item.

Thanking you in advance for any information on this.

20171129_100359.jpg 20171129_102449.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice brooch. VA, maybe made for the V&A giftshop?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. skerry

skerry Active Member

Now that was a very good thinking out of the box reply. I have just researched that and all their jewellery that they design or commission is maker V&A, not VA.
    A great answer though, thanks.

Christmasjoy, judy and kyratango like this.
  4. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. skerry

skerry Active Member

Hi Rasty, Thanks for your time in answering. Yes it is the mark for London import, I did put that in my initial post but thanks for confirming it. (Cited from: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/makers-mark-on-silver-brooch-any-ideas-please.22919/)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

7. JenBB

JenBB New Member

The only VA I know is Danish silversmith V.Aagren working in Copenhagen but his dates are 1893-1937.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm guilty all of the time, of just looking at the pictures and not reading

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Can't help with the mark, but that brooch sure has a Celtic look to me.....

komokwa, Christmasjoy and Sandra like this.
  10. skerry

skerry Active Member

Hi, yes ironically that is the only maker with the VA mark as that I found, a real mystery this one becasue it is such a well crafted piece. The hunt continues then :angelic:

JenBB and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. skerry

skerry Active Member

Hi, yes it does for sure but it has definitely been imported into the UK so I discounted any of the smaller Scottish silversmiths that work out of places like Iona etc, thanks for your comment though.

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  12. skerry

skerry Active Member

Going slightly off subject, I have a gold ring marked 375 and then a fully London hallmark which shows the import mark and also it looks like the London Assay office has stamped DIA next to the date letter.... my question is, do assay offices in the UK actually test if diamonds are real becasue these are not diamonds in this ring?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Assay offices only test the metal, not the stones. DIA is a maker's or sponsor's mark.

14. skerry

skerry Active Member

Thank you for your reply, very confusing this DIA stamp thats for sure, some people say the same as you online and others say it means the stones are diamonds. these are definitely not diamonds in this ring I have though, photo of the stamps added just in case anyone else can add anything as well..... I bet this stamp has caught a lot of people out over the years.

20171130_113732.jpg

15. skerry

skerry Active Member

Actually just thinking about it, is the M J the makers mark?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I think DIA is the retailer.
    I found a ring the other day, after the hallmark and purity mark was stamped QVC.

DIA is a jeweller in India

17. skerry

skerry Active Member

Hi Davey,
    Thank you for your reply and the explanation and now that makes sense. Great marketing though to have DIA as the retailers mark, clever or crafty, not sure which ;).
    Im already learning so much about jewellery from the members on this site, thank you to everyone who comments on here, not just on my posts but everyones. Big thumbs up to everyone :happy::happy::happy:

18. skerry

skerry Active Member

I have had some relevant information back today regarding the mystery makers mark for the brooch. I emailed the London Assay office yesterday asking for their help and this is their reply below.

We believe the date letter could be the lowercase 'g' of 1962-63 (dates ran from May to May at this point). There are two possible identities for the mark 'VA' on our database, both of which are described the same way so we cannot tell them apart. They are The Veterans Association who first registered in 1947 and Vernon Allen Ltd who registered in 1960, as we do not have date of when they ceased trading either is a possibility but given the date of 1962 I would think Vernon Allen Ltd would be the most likely.

Now having received this I researched Vernon Allen Ltd online and I cannot see even 1 reference to that firm or any related article to jewelry ...... my mystery has turned into a mysterious mystery now :)

19. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Looks like they were taken over or merged.

GILDA JEWELLERS Ltd. 34-5, Hatton Garden, later, 31-35, Kirby Street, ... Representative to the wholesale trade in the U.K.: Vernon Allen Ltd., 31-35, Kirby Street, London, EC1N 8TJ

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. On that DIA thing? I don't think it's an import mark, it looks more like a common control mark. Scales, leopard head and fineness of 375.

Draft saved Draft deleted