Featured Makers mark on silver enamel brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Eils14, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find out the makers mark on this lovely silver and enamel brooch, any thoughts? I think it must date to early 20th century due to C clasp/ style, perhaps 1910's or 20's.

TIA,

Eilidh Enamel.JPG Enamel2.JPG enamel3.JPG Enamel4.JPG

bercrystal, BMRT, stracci and 9 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ooo gorgeous, Eilidh.:happy: Norwegian, with an Aksel Holmsen mark. Aksel Holmsen is a famous Norwegian maker, the company was founded in 1938.

KSW, Bronwen, Darkwing Manor and 10 others like this.
  3. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info....a bit later than I thought in date too clearly! :)

I love enamel pieces but unfortunately this one isn't mine to keep as, it belongs to a family friend I am looking into some pieces for! The enamel is in perfect condition too!!:happy:

4. Any Jewelry

Some makers kept on using the old style clasps longer than others. It is a real quality piece, gorgeous colour too, and in perfect condition.:)

KSW, Bronwen, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  5. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry, I just realised you somehow managed to get my correct name in your first post too! I read it without thinking at first! Well done on spelling it correctly as well...most people struggle!! :happy:

I love it and would keep it if I could....I will just have to enjoy it for now while I babysit it! :)

bercrystal, KSW, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

:happy:
    I have a few Scottish relatives, that helps.:)

7. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

I'm glad they have taught you how to spell it....many Scottish folk don't even know how!

When I met Peter Capaldi I had to spell it to him when he signed something for me! :)

8. Any Jewelry

I love Peter Capaldi. Do you have one of his artworks, or was it acting related?

KSW, Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  9. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

It was acting related... I happened to be in Glasgow and discovered the Scottish Bafta's were being held and there he was! Got my photo with him, as well as his signature! He also signed it Dr ? as well as his signature :happy:

10. Any Jewelry

Wow, nice!
    :hilarious:

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not my favourite incarnation of the doctor, but lovely man. The history of why there's so many Glaswegians with Italian names is fascinating.

KSW, Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Not sure where the various 1930s dating for Holmsen's founding comes from, suspect it may have been when the shop moved to Sandefjord - Ostby doesn't mention Sandesfjord, but notes his Oslo shop as opening in 1906, the firm out of business in 1971:

holmsenmarks-ostby.JPG

It's a Modernist design, and almost certainly dates post-WWII...

~Cheryl

bercrystal, Fid, terry5732 and 9 others like this.
  13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I love it.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  14. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! I love guilloche enameling!

KSW, Bronwen and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  15. DragonflyWink

They were probably going for a guilloché effect, but it's actually basse-taille enamel, guilloché is engine-turned - here is a Holmsen brooch with enameled guilloché center and champlevé border:

holmsenguillochechamplevebrooch.JPG

~Cheryl

bercrystal, KSW, Bakersgma and 6 others like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Thanks for the info Cheryl. I just added it to my files.:)

KSW, scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  17. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Bracelet.JPG Bracelet2.JPG Bracelet3.JPG Bracelet5.JPG Bracelet6.JPG

Thanks everyone for the excellent info! :)

@Ownedbybear my favourite is actually David Tennant and I have been lucky enough to meet him too! :happy:

@DragonflyWink I love that brooch you shared. I have attached pictures of my own bracelet which is in a similar Nordic style, it appears to have something after the 925s, possibly a makers mark? Not sure it's Holmsen but I wondered if you may have an idea who it could be? Thanks

bercrystal, KSW, Bakersgma and 5 others like this.
  18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

bercrystal, KSW, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  19. DragonflyWink

Love the bracelet! Reversed 'K' mark belonged to Oslo maker Edvin Kristiansen, shop opened in 1931, later Kristiansen & Knutsen, then became Kristiansen & Lande in 1941, out of business in 1972.

~Cheryl

bercrystal, KSW, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  20. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Bronwen, you could be right, it definitely has a similar shape!

Thank you Cheryl; I have been wondering about the bracelet since I bought it last year and couldn't figure out who it was by....your picture reminded me to ask! :) Any thoughts on age, or is it one of those pieces that's difficult to assess? I'm not too knowledgeable on Norwegian Silver as this thread is showing, although I really love the pieces too! :happy:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    KSW and scoutshouse like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted