Making 'Makers Marks' readable

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Chris1948, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

I've got a small silverplate tray that I picked up last week for 5$ that might be hand chased. I say might because I can see the design through to the back. The problem is that the makers mark is there but very faintly. I can barely make it out through my lighted magnifying glass. What might be a good way to try and bring this out better so I can search to see who the maker is?

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I find that photographing from a slight side angle can help with both faint and worn marks. This also helps when looking through a glass, although the macro function of my camera has more strength than most of my mag glasses.

BTW, seeing the design on the back of a silverplated tray is more likely evidence that it was pressed or stamped on rather than that it was hand chased.

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

A flashlight used in the dark and shown across the surface at an extreme angle can work as well just to check.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I use carbon black from a candle flame. Then cover it with a piece of cellophane tape. Then tape it to a white card. It is amazing what can be revealed. Just be sure to clean the mess off.
    greg

5. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Thanks all for the suggestions. I tried with the flashlight at an angle, can't make out much only what looks like a capital Kai... and then a circle with what may be three rose buds two in a row then one on top. I'll give the carbon black a try here in a bit and see what I come up with.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Tried with the carbon black. It would have worked I believe it there was anything for it to latch on to however it's just too worn down. It almost looks like it wasn't actually stamped into the bottom.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I have seen dealers breathe on marks to make them show up.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Hi Chris. I looked for any kind of mark that might have what you described included, but didn't find anything useful. How about posting pictures of the tray, both whole and the bottom. Sometimes the styling can help guide further searches.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Good idea, tried that I guess I don't breath hard enough. :( I remembered I had a magnifying app on my phone that uses the flash also. Tried that still can't make out more than what looks like a cursive capital K then an a. I know it was a cheap piece but some things like reading this makers mark drive me crazy.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Here's the tray photos. I don't know exactly what the stain is on the photo of the center part of the tray. My wife polished it with silver polish and it didn't come off. I may try some Wernol polish to see if that works.
    DSC07399.JPG DSC07400.JPG DSC07401.JPG DSC07402.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

....nope......can't do it...... ;)

komokwa and Chris1948 like this.
  12. Bakersgma

Thanks for the pictures, Chris, but is there one of the underside in there?

Looks post WWII to me. Too bad about that stain.

Chris1948 and KingofThings like this.
  13. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

I only have one of a small portion of the bottom. I'll take one of the complete bottom tomorrow. Any specific area or just the complete bottom.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

I'd like to see the whole, but particularly want to see what you see that suggested to you that it was hand chased.

And if you could point out where the mark that we can't read is located, that would be good too.

KingofThings and Chris1948 like this.
  15. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

The stain looks like someone tested it with acid.

Chris1948 and KingofThings like this.
  16. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Probably one grain of salt caused the damage. It won't polish out. It is plate loss. Further polishing will remove more.

It is what it is. It does not matter who it is.

Bakersgma, Chris1948 and KingofThings like this.
  17. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Here's the best I can do for the complete bottom of the tray and by using my magnifier app to see the mark.

DSC07406.JPG mir_20170605_103643.jpg

18. Bakersgma

Well, Chris, that ghost of the impressed design is certainly not evidence of "hand chasing" on the public surface, nor is there anything about the ghost of the mark that suggests any age beyond my original thoughts. The mark does not resemble that of any maker with which I am familiar (and there are a lot of those) nor any illustrated on the 2 online sites I use most often. The fact that it was not just labeled with a sticker is a good thing, but as Terry has said above "it is what it is; it does not matter who it is."

It's too bad about that discoloration on the front, because it's a nice tray otherwise. I can see if being very decorative as long as you cover up the stain - Christmas greens and a few shiny balls and you're good to go!

Chris1948 likes this.
  19. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Thanks @Bakersgma, I wasn't sure about the 'hand chasing' as from what I read when this is done sometimes the design goes through to the other side. I've learned more now. Now that you mention a sticker could this possibly be a 'ghost' of where the sticker was?

It will look good with some Christmas decorations, thanks for the suggestion.

20. Bakersgma

I haven't seen sticker ink bleed through onto the plated surface, Chris, not to say that would not be possible. Just never seen it happen personally.

We'll expect pictures when Christmas rolls around.;)

Chris1948 likes this.