Marble Afficionados, Please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by tie.dye.cat, Oct 15, 2016.

1. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Picked up a box of marbles for a buck on my way home from work yesterday. I don't know much about marbles, but as I looked through them and sorted them out, I didn't see much of anything that stands out to me as spectacular, but thought I should run them by people here who would know much more than I about these.

Any keywords you can throw at me for the lot title would be much appreciated. And I'd be curious about what the two little marbles are made of in the last picture, the blue & white one (china?) and the rusty red one (clay?).

Thanks!

DSCN2084.JPG

2. DSCN2085.JPG

3. DSCN2089.JPG

4. DSCN2090.JPG

5. DSCN2091.JPG

6. DSCN2092.JPG

7. DSCN2093.JPG

8. DSCN2094.JPG

9. DSCN2095.JPG

10. DSCN2096.JPG

cxgirl and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you got all that for $1.00 ...........?? :wideyed::wideyed::eek::eek::woot::woot::wacky::wacky::wacky::D:D:D:D:D

tie.dye.cat and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

There are sure some pretty colors there!

yourturntoloveit and tie.dye.cat like this.
  4. tie.dye.cat

Yeah, he also tried to throw in a chinese checker board that they used the marbles on (go figure how, given the fact that there's not a group of the same color big enough to use on the board), but it was so beat up I didn't take it.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. tie.dye.cat

I know, I could see myself becoming obsessed real easy with creating a marble collection. But I don't buy to keep, I only buy to flip. Can't afford collections.

6. komokwa

How do ya flip a marble....they're round !! Heheheee!!!!!!

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  7. tie.dye.cat

I wonder if this thread would do better on the general discussion board. I wasn't sure exactly where to put it.

Anyone know if there are any marble people on the board?

8. komokwa

throw up a post...just to direct them here...

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

10. tie.dye.cat

Thanks komokwa & cxgirl.

komokwa likes this.
  11. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

tie dye -

I have a friend who's a marble expert - he owns over 80,000 marbles. I'll email your pictures to him.
    Just to clarify - you want to sell them?

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Don't see anything particularly good here but am no expert. Your last two are fired clay. The first is glazed. Can't tell if the second is glazed or not from the picture. You find them both ways. These would probably pre-date the rest in your collection.

tie.dye.cat and yourturntoloveit like this.
  13. komokwa

My wife is extrermely good at chinese checkers....all her game pieces are solid colors...
    just sayin..

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  14. tie.dye.cat

Thanks Bookahtoo. Yes, I figured I would sell them as a lot on ebay. I don't know what keywords to use (are any of these agate, for instance). And I was just wondering if there was anything special in the lot even though it doesn't look like it to me.

15. tie.dye.cat

Thanks Brad! I didn't even think of glazed clay for that bluish one.

16. tie.dye.cat

Well after I got done sorting through all the marbles I came out with several groups of solid colored marbles as well. I didn't include them in the pics cause I figured they were the ones that went along with that board. :)

komokwa likes this.
  17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

This is what he said:

The four yellow are Akro patches. The brownish one is an akro or Master made sparkler. The rest is just more glass from various makers. Value is whatever the owner can get.

001.JPG

I did look up brown Akro Agate sparklers on ebay completeds:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=yellow+akro+agate+patch+marbles&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xakro+agate+brown+sparkler.TRS1&_nkw=akro+agate+brown+sparkler&_sacat=0

Some good prices for one marble.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Ask him if he has mine. I've lost them somewhere.

pearlsnblume and tie.dye.cat like this.
  19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I wonder if that white clay might be a bit unusual. Someone took the time to add dots of color? I think the other clay one might have been painted rather than glazed, but that's just a guess.

I have about 4qts (in glass sealers) of clay marbles. I can't see those dating before about 1910 and they could be as late as the '30s.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  20. tie.dye.cat

Thank you so so much book! With all the lot listings out there, I was thinking mine would be lost in the sea of them without at least a couple of keywords.

I can't thank you enough!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted