Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Antique Discussion
>
Marc Chagall Self Portrait
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="moreotherstuff, post: 4506449, member: 56"]The 282 is a reference to the catalog raisonne edited by Marc Mourlot. Apparently this lithograph was produced for, and published in, the catalog in 1960.</p><p><br /></p><p>I'm guessing this is a reproduction with the other titles on the back also being available from the same source. But that's just a guess. I don't know how the page numbers fit in.</p><p><br /></p><p>I have never seen the catalog, but given the date I would expect a noticeable difference between an added lithograph in color and the other text and reproductions. I would expect the other illustrations to be in black and white and on a different grade of paper. There were 12 lithographs done specifically for the catalog and numbered 281-292, 10 of them in color. I don't know if these lithographs would have constituted a specially printed signature (in this context: a part of a book), or if they might have been "tipped in" (printed separately and then individually pasted into the book). There's always the chance that this came out of the catalog, but I would not expect such a print to have other titles (or any printing) on the back.[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="moreotherstuff, post: 4506449, member: 56"]The 282 is a reference to the catalog raisonne edited by Marc Mourlot. Apparently this lithograph was produced for, and published in, the catalog in 1960. I'm guessing this is a reproduction with the other titles on the back also being available from the same source. But that's just a guess. I don't know how the page numbers fit in. I have never seen the catalog, but given the date I would expect a noticeable difference between an added lithograph in color and the other text and reproductions. I would expect the other illustrations to be in black and white and on a different grade of paper. There were 12 lithographs done specifically for the catalog and numbered 281-292, 10 of them in color. I don't know if these lithographs would have constituted a specially printed signature (in this context: a part of a book), or if they might have been "tipped in" (printed separately and then individually pasted into the book). There's always the chance that this came out of the catalog, but I would not expect such a print to have other titles (or any printing) on the back.[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Antique Discussion
>
Marc Chagall Self Portrait
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...