Featured Marcasite bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, Dec 14, 2023.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I’m thinking modernish but in the Deco style. Looks as if the marcasites are glued in as a few are missing, looks grubby, I’m assuming I can’t safely clean this so leave well alone? I’m sending this off as a gift so just wanted some advice. Thanks.
    IMG_3673.jpeg IMG_3674.jpeg IMG_3670.jpeg IMG_3677.jpeg IMG_3668.jpeg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

A swoosh in vodka or gin won’t hurt it. You might even get away with ultrasound.

mirana and Houseful like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I would clean with warm, soapy water and polish using a foaming polish and a very soft toothbrush. It will look great!

4. Houseful

I don’t keep any alcohol in the house, (my PBC hepatologist says no).
    I haven’t got an ultrasound cleaner, I’ve seen them for sale at Lidl, think they were not very expensive but I expect you get what you pay for. I might treat myself in 2024. I’ll mention the alcohol to her. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Houseful

Bit wary with warm soapy water, the marcasites are just glued on and are just sitting on the top.
    At least I can clean the back with silver cleaner. Maybe she will like it as it is, I will tell her about the alcohol suggestion by OBB though. Thanks.

kyratango likes this.
  6. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

I usually just use a polishing cloth on stuff like this, but I don't mind a darker patina.

7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Eh, it's glue...I'd clean in soap and water in a bowl and if they come out, just glue 'em back in! :D Got any non-aloe hand-sanitizer around, that'll do for the alcohol cleaning to take off light tarnish. Sometimes a bit of oxidation looks good with marcasites though imo.

Looks 80s/90s to me.

kyratango and Houseful like this.
  8. Houseful

I’ve sent it off to her now, good tip about the sanitiser, I do have some of 70% alcohol, would never have thought of using it as a cleaner.

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted