March 9 1943 St Louis staff of army Air Force radio communications signed

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Elizabeth Brushia, Dec 3, 2023.

1. IMG_6061.jpeg IMG_1896.jpeg IMG_6061.jpeg IMG_1896.jpeg IMG_6061.jpeg I came across one of the first women in communications, book of achievements and certifications. And it was this photograph taken by Sievers as you could see it was during the war, and it signed by the entire staff. There are certificates for Jimmy Carter’s inauguration, it’s extremely interesting to me yet I can’t find anybody to authenticate any signatures or have interest in it. If you have a direction for me, please help with this. Thank you very much

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why one wouldn't think the photograph above is what it says it is. However, I think those are signatures of students rather than the "entire" staff.

Debora

Elizabeth Brushia likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like Stephen Douglas was jacked to sign it !!:playful::playful:

sabre123 and Debora like this.
  4. Unfortunately he wasn’t alive cause that would bring aome value huh:)

komokwa likes this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Welcome, Elizabeth.
    I think @Debora is right, the photo and signatures seem to be similar to a commemorative year book - with the staff/instructors of the school in the front row, and comments and signatures of some of the students written on the back.

Although the notation refers to St. Louis University, I think the school may have been related to Scott Air Force Base, located near St. Louis in Belleville, Illinois.
    "By the onset of World War II, Scott Field was well on its way to earning the title of Communications University of the Army Air Forces and adopted the slogan, “The best damn radio operators in the world.” By 1942, Scott Field hosted foreign students from China, France and other Allied partner nations and, in 1943, became the home of the 58th Woman’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WAACS)."
    https://www.scott.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/159788/scott-air-force-base-history/

More on their radio instruction -
    https://www.scott.af.mil/News/Features/Display/Article/1179089/scott-history-1940s/

komokwa and mirana like this.
  6. That makes sense, as that would be a very large staff… I skimmed this article, but can’t wait to actually read it once again to obtain this knowledge as it’s quite interesting. Thank you so much! I’m glad to meet someone very knowledgeable in this realm

2manybooks likes this.
  7. This woman herself had many achievements. Amongst her things in this book is a newspaper article about one of the first submarines using forms of communication. this would’ve all been garbage as these estate sales throw everything away!

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Do you know more about "this woman" - who she was and what she did? Can you describe the book you acquired - is it a scrapbook, or something else?

With the increased interest in the acknowledgement of women in history, you might have something that would be suitable for a relevant archives. Perhaps the National WWII Museum in New Orleans -

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/

Draft saved Draft deleted