Marilyn Monroe earrings (1954)

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by MmePlantier, Aug 3, 2021.

1. MmePlantier

MmePlantier Active Member

Hello,

I am looking for some information on the style and hopefully the maker of the earrings Marilyn Monroe was wearing during her visit to an Army hospital in Japan in 1954.
    I would say Mid-century modern, but I can't really tell the material or the details.

Here are some pictures showing the earrings: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thank you very much!

Lucille.b and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Best I can do to enlarge them an still have them reasonably clear....looks like
    she wore them a LOT!!!

M-MONROE-low_res-scale-2_00.jpg

EDIT Adding one more to the mix....there seems to be writing on the earring length.... maybe someone can recognize it...!

Screenshot (77)-standard-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Lucille.b and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

From your photos...
    Are these two different (or different colorways of the same) earrings or is it simply that they are the same earring reflecting the light differently?

Screenshot (77).png Screenshot (78).png

4. MmePlantier

MmePlantier Active Member

Thank you for your help, Aquitaine and bluumz!
    Marilyn Monroe used to mostly own costume jewellery, that's why I find her pictures so interesting, as they really give an idea of the style of the period.
    Moreover, 1950s and 1960s jewellery pieces similar to her own can be found quite easily.

These particular earrings, though, are so difficult to identify!
    They seem to be in a screw-back style and to be made in two-toned metal - the lower right corner seems to be lighter, or to have a lighter-coloured line going across it. They are also quite thick, as one can see from the picture taken from the front. I tried finding pictures in colour, but to no avail...

She wore the same earrings in her passport photo from the same year : picture.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted