Featured Marilyn Monroe (Modern Screen Magazine 1953)

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Vintage Maven, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

From my collection, an original full issue of an October, 1953 Modern Screen Magazine featuring Marilyn Monroe on the cover, there is also an article inside about her written by Sidney Skolsky famed Hollywood journalist.

4A38F636-00F5-4F32-8031-048C6A9D5B02.jpeg

2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying these more and more !

I feel the same as Sidney Skolsky :)

3. Vintage Maven

Glad you are enjoying the vintage posts

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Vintage Maven likes this.
  5. Vintage Maven

I have actually seen the headshot many years ago, I definitely think photographers should use a code of conduct/ethics when choosing what to photograph. I know I personally have, being a photographer myself, there are certain things I use my inner judgement on, if it is journalistically important etc. There are certain things, I feel, the public should not see, this also provides dignity to whomever the photograph is taken of.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. daveydempsey

I saved the pic before it was taken down.
    She had quite large ears under all that peroxide.

7. Vintage Maven

Regardless whether she had large ears or not, if it’s the postmortem photo I think you saw, it would have been taken after/during the pathology exam. That is when an incision is made on top of the scalp causing ligaments and muscles on face and head to droop down, causing features to become more enlarged looking than they already are. These photos should never have been seen publicly, in my opinion. But the laws are not as protective in the U.S. regarding this.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I saw it today too. It didn’t look like her at all, I thought they had made a mistake.

i need help and Vintage Maven like this.
  9. Vintage Maven

I can’t believe (and to a degree understand) that those post mortem pictures still get attention and publishing, but I guess perhaps there will always be a curiosity in the human culture. I first witnessed the photos in 1986, the sight remained in my conscious memory for quite some time. That is why the living images of her are so precious.

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Reminds me of those horrible photogs trying to snap Princess Diana’s tragic death. :(
    But I suppose it is curiosity and slight obsession with famous people.

komokwa likes this.
  11. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

And in truth, there is an element of wishing to preserve such moments for history (rightly so in my mind) - think of Brady's photos of American Civil War battlefields.

komokwa and i need help like this.
  12. i need help

Preserved yes. Hopefully tastefully. :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Mansons2005

I have no wish to debate, truly, but the incidents that cause something that should be preserved for posterity were not done "tastefully", so I see no need to "sugar coat" them when recording them. Now, where, how, and by whom they are viewed is another story all together. Postmortem photos are not taken to be published in magazines or online - they are taken to record an event. So saying that the photographer was not "tasteful" does not really apply.

Getting a nice new rope and tying a secure noose into one end for the express purpose of using it when the one responsible for sensationalizing those photos is found is the second part of the story.................a process I would gladly take part in..............

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. i need help

I have no wish to debate, Either. :)
    We are talking about different things entirely, I think.

15. daveydempsey

These photos were hidden away until 1993, they were taken shortly after her death and before an autopsy, they were not the photos given to Life magazine.

16. Vintage Maven

I does indeed seem the conversation has been diverted from this posts original meaning, the magazine itself.

But if I may make a statement regarding all said about the photos chatted about. My statement made about a photographer’s poor taste may have been a bit generalized, I had been referring to the statement made initially about the photographer gaining access by bribing morgue guards & taking photos.

Second I am somewhat aware of the history of the postmortem photos and definitely had seen them from a piece of literature in 1986, and again
    that same year I had seen the “headshot” in a memoir by Lena Peppitone (Marilyn’s maid/housekeeper/assistant) this was in the first edition printing made in 1979.

Anyways, I guess anyone’s account could be taken as the definitive history. I am just referring to to history I’m aware of. I hope that was acceptable of me to say.

17. i need help

Differing opinions are always welcomed and encouraged, as long as they are stated in a polite manner (which Your was :))
    And just as an FYI, threads sometimes veer off course around here, :confused:. No disrespect to your magazine. Your collection is Wonderful! :)

Christmasjoy and Vintage Maven like this.
  18. Vintage Maven

No disrespect taken at all, I did find it interesting in seeing the differed statements and opinions, and I respect all who added to the conversation, I think it is good for the human soul to civilly debate or state opinion, truly healthy. And Thank You very much for the kind words about my collection, very appreciated! This is a great group on Antiquers.

19. Mansons2005

I too have enjoyed, and am actively enjoying your collection! I mean, and have meant, no disrespect to you or your opinions. Folks around here will tell you that I tend to go off track on occasion (bit of understatement there!) And while I try to curb myself until a question or query has been resolved, there wasn't either here, so off I went! Please do not take offense to anything I say - EVER! If I deserve to be called out on something, by all means ask me to clarify my statement before you hate me.............We are like a family here, and like all families we have our black sheep and that uncle we don't talk about in polite company. I am that sable hued relative whose name is seldom spoken in polite company - but damx, do they talk about me behind my back!

I love this forum and have been "chattering" to many of the members for over a decade (a few for two decades!). I tend to forget that not everyone is familiar with my style (or lack thereof).

20. Vintage Maven

Well it’s a pleasure to meet you, I hope to hear more from you most certainly.

Draft saved Draft deleted