Mark identification help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Unknown cat, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Unknown cat

Unknown cat New Member

Hello, I have these two vases but I can’t find any info on the marks.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

IMG_4799.jpeg IMG_4798.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The bottom one is a 20th century apocryphal Qianlong mark on its side.
    So not Qianlong period.
    Could we see the vases please?

Unknown cat, judy and sabre123 like this.
  3. Unknown cat

Unknown cat New Member

Hello, thanks for the lead!

This is the one with the BD mark

IMG_4804.jpeg

And here is the qianlong one

IMG_4810.jpeg

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

The BD one is a crystalline glaze and a double gourd shape. The other one is a sort of millefiore pattern (thousand flowers). Both are 20th c I'm pretty sure. You can look for the marks at gotheborg.com under Chinese marks. Lots of good info there.

trip98, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The crystalline glaze almost has to be post-1980 because I don't think the glaze existed before then. Maybe it did, but I've never seen it used on anything made more than 25 years ago.

Unknown cat likes this.
  6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Crystalline glazes did exist before 1980s, but the glaze now is much easier to produce with modern techniques. A few Arts n Crafts potters come to mind like Fulper, California Faience, Pewabic and even antique Chinese pottery offered items with crystalline glazes. The crystalline glazes in the older stuff has smaller "blooms" and is less uniform.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
    kentworld and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted