Mark Japanese or Chinese?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Roger67, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Roger67

Roger67 Well-Known Member

Hi! Have had this vase a long time never found out who made. Looks to be hand painted with raised paint. It’s 12 inch tall. TIA have looked everywhere with no luck. 7EC91CA0-F5FF-48DC-AF1F-072B0334A9C0.jpeg A2BA31C9-1461-4A3E-8B9A-92806A5CAF6B.jpeg 43E52671-E4CD-44E4-BE39-54704FDCD826.jpeg CBA2E4FE-A0BD-4113-B45C-B786ABFAC7C5.jpeg 443CC61A-A902-46AB-A189-17111E59C1C7.png

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe Korean?

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe not so old...

4. Roger67

Roger67 Well-Known Member

Wow I will look thanks moreotherstuff. Yeah it doesn’t look old does it. Thanks

5. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

It’s upside down. It reads “Pu San” - Pu Mountain, sometimes referred to as Putuo Mountain. Of Buddhist significance apparently. The technique reminds me of majolica tiles.

Figtree3, kentworld, Rclinftl and 5 others like this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Pretty! The method of raised decoration is called "tube lining." A technique perfected by Moorcroft. Slip is applied via a tube to make the raised outline and then glazes fill the spaces. Your vase is nicely done. I would've guessed Japanese, but the potting is fairly thick. I dunno who or where, but I like it.

Ken Yap and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Pretty! I wonder what kind of flowers those are? They appear to be a type that grows on a tree. Reminds me of a tulip tree or something similar.

Ken Yap likes this.
  8. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

They look like magnolias to me

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I thought of magnolias, too... but didn't check to see whether they exist in eastern Asia. Thank you!

Ken Yap likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted