Featured Market scene painting. Help with signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I saw this painting in a shop and was interested, I thought it was quite well done. The owner thinks the signature is Italian and implied it was from 1952. It looks like it might be signed in Cyrillic. What about the clothing? Does that help with determining its origin. I snapped a couple quick pics. Some snoopy people started hovering when I showed interest, so I only got a couple pics. E4F3E171-6923-483D-B456-ADBF21654446.jpeg 18351B7F-B554-4560-8CE1-03CFA64B1B35.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1952 is an oddly precise date and the signature is clearly in the Latin alphabet, not the Cyrillic. To my eye it reads "Lino Briante." Oh, on the internet I see there is an artist named Ezelino Briante. Looks like he. And here's one of his works that sold at Christie's. Same signature. Realized $1,920.

Debora

https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-4616469

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 7.08.47 AM.png

3. Lithographer

Wow, good eye. I was seeing an O and H in the last name and searching on artists named Lino wasn’t working. I will put up some more pics after I go back and pick it up.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  4. Gary Berry

Gary Berry Member

Well found Debora

Houseful likes this.
  5. Lithographer

I went back to the antique mall and picked it for $90. The employees were all curious and said it had only been there a few days. Here are some additional pictures. There is a #75 penciled in the upper left corner on back and then it looks like a 524 and the name Claes penciled on the back. I appreciate all the help, this one is going to stay in the collection. IMG_1773.jpg IMG_1774.jpg IMG_1775.jpg IMG_1776.jpg IMG_1777.jpg IMG_1778.jpg

Houseful likes this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Can't help with any information, just wanted to say I like this. The artist is clearly accomplished. In a few brush stroked the people are rendered so perfectly, objects feel solid and substantial and the composition is good. For $90 I think you got a really nice painting :)

johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. Gary Berry

Gary Berry Member

Blimey well done that seems a great buy

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Charming ! Id have bought it.

9. Lithographer

Thanks, I really like it too. The auction results are kind of all over the map for this artist, so I think what I paid was a pretty good deal. Seems like the artist was quite prolific and I suspect got a lot of business from the Naples/Rome tourist trade.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    Houseful likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Probably did. It looks like a good souvenir to take home, a big step up on the typical that I see here.

Draft saved Draft deleted