Marks on spoon

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Red6, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Red6

Red6 Member

Hello Everybody

I am hoping somebody can help me identify this silver tablespoon.

It is finished in the fiddle and shell pattern and is struck 3 times with a fouled anchor mark. I am really struggling to find any information either online or in my all be it limited collection of reference books.

Any help greatfully appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Christmasjoy and dude like this.
  2. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

I looked through my silver marks of the world book and the only one similar is Norrtalje Sweden.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  3. popsycat

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Welcome, Red. It can be helpful to show a straight-on image of the spoon, as well as a back-view (but your pics are nice and clear). It's unlikely this piece is Swedish (and though faint, the anchor does appear fouled), I'd suspect early 19th century Scottish provincial, or other provincial or colonial origin. From what I can see in the picture, the top of the spoon looks Scottish, with longish, slender proportions, not unusual to find multiple strikes of the same mark on Scottish provincial silver, but the lack of a maker's mark would be unusual...

~Cheryl

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Red6

Red6 Member

Thank you both for your replies and the welcome.

Cheryl, I have added a couple of extra images, although I am not sure if they will help with further identification, fingers crossed somebody may have seen the marks before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. DragonflyWink

Doesn't change my initial impression, perhaps someone else will have some better information - but for future reference, when you have a straight-on shot of a spoon, it gives the correct proportions of it, when you take it at an angle, it gives a distorted effect as in your last pic of the front, the image of the back is better in that respect and also shows the drop, the placement of the marks, etc.

~Cheryl

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Bakersgma likes this.
  7. popsycat

I did notice the anchor was fouled, but this was the nearest I could find. I can see where you are coming from with Scottish. I have handled a lot of Scottish provincial in the past. I can only think of Dumfries and Greenock to check.

Fid likes this.
  8. Red6

Red6 Member

Thanks again to both of you for your observations and advice.

9. DragonflyWink

Figured you'd see it, it just sort of screamed Scottish to me...

Link below is a 2015 auction for four Scottish provincial fiddle ladles in the shorter top English style (either form wouldn't be uncommon), two bear the Greenock maker's initials with two anchors, two bear only three anchors - to my eye, appears to be the same anchors on all four. To be clear, am only showing an example of Scottish provincial marks struck thrice - they are not the same anchors as yours, and believe the fouled anchor would more likely be from Dumfries. I have limited Scottish references, and little time to poke around online, but further research might turn up the maker or at least an attribution...

https://www.tooveys.com/lots/277575...rovincial-silver-fiddle-pattern-toddy-ladles/

~Cheryl

Bakersgma likes this.
  10. Red6

Red6 Member

Thanks very much Cheryl, I appreciate your time and effort in helping me out.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  11. DragonflyWink

Should mention that, while most commonly found on Dumfries and Greenock silver, an anchor could also be found on pieces from other port towns, but the fouled anchor usually on Dumfries silver...

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted