Featured MARSHALL MITCHELL BRONZE? SCULPTURE "GRIZZLY"

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 26, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at a local thrift store. Googling Marshall Mitchell sculpture shows a lot of bronze limited edition sculptures with a western theme like mine - but I can't find another 'Grizzly' sculpture.
    Is this a bronze sculpture? Why no other ones found online- maybe buyers of Grizzly kept them (there were only 20 made)?
    It measures 13" L x 8" W x 10" T
    Thanks for your help!

AA EBAY NEW A ART SCULPTURE GRIZZLY MARSGALL MITCHELL 1A_AA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A ART SCULPTURE GRIZZLY MARSGALL MITCHELL 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART SCULPTURE GRIZZLY MARSGALL MITCHELL 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART SCULPTURE GRIZZLY MARSGALL MITCHELL 3A_AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART SCULPTURE GRIZZLY MARSGALL MITCHELL 5AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART SCULPTURE GRIZZLY MARSGALL MITCHELL 5AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART SCULPTURE GRIZZLY MARSGALL MITCHELL 8AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART SCULPTURE GRIZZLY MARSGALL MITCHELL 8BAAAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART SCULPTURE GRIZZLY MARSGALL MITCHELL 7AAA.jpg

2. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

A search of completed auctions on Liveauctioneers shows that about half of his pieces go unsold and the other half sell for an average of about $300. No Grizzly though...

judy likes this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Looks bronze to me. It will feel cold to the touch if bronze metal, resin is always warmish. I like it, it has energy.

judy likes this.
  4. journeymagazine

It is cool to touch.
    $300 was about what I was going to list it for - I paid $59 + tax (a lot for me in a thrift store), but I thought it had "it" when I looked at it (the energy?) and wanted it, so I paid - I figured I would be able to at least get my money back at the worse.
    Also - the thing is Heavy! And that's with a wood base, not stone - is bronze heavy?
    Thank you all, as always!

judy likes this.
  5. Houseful

Bronzes are usually hollow because when the hot metal cools after casting areas like fingers would cool at a faster rate than the main body making cracks and distortion. Do you remember when the hollow statue of Saddam Hussain was pulled down? The foundry casts using hollow waxes which melt out giving the lost wax process. Some things are sand cast again as hollow but they are often larger pieces which don’t need to show so much detail. Only small bronzes are cast solid, think Axe heads. That said yours may have a filling in it to make it even heavier but bronzes are quite heavy anyway. I think you bought very well, it has got ‘it’. I have had things cast and it is an expensive and labour intensive process to get done even when you supply your own waxes. You might want to give it a clear wax or brown shoe polish, unless you like the verdigris. Whatever you do don’t clean it with metal polish. Good find, I would have bought it. Yes, limited edition of 20.

judy likes this.
  6. Steve Mandell

Steve Mandell New Member

This is a fake. There are many fakes of Marshalls works out there in auction houses. I have a photo catalog of Marshall's which shows all his works and Grizzly is not one of them. Also I spoke to Marshall himself a year or two before he died and he told me about all the fakes being made in florida and I ever spoke to his lawyer about them. The reason his works don't sell very well is because most of them, accept for a very few, are fakes and look terrible compared to the master sculptor he truly was. Congratulations, you have a nice 60 dollar paper weight. I own one of his originals and it is magnificently done. Every bit the work of a master sculptor. It is worth about 7,500 dollars.

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Steve!

8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Please show us some pictures.

aaroncab, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

would it be asked too much to turn out two screws and have a look inside ?

10. Steve Mandell

Steve Mandell New Member

I am wrong, I believe the Grizzly sculptor you purchased is an Original Marshall Mitchell. I saw a picture of it in Marshall's Sculptor catalogue that I own. Many of his works like "Ole Coonfoot and young brave" as well as "Two Alone" have been copied and made into cheap fakes, but I believe yours is real. Sorry about the earlier uninformed review.

komokwa, Houseful and aaroncab like this.
  11. Steve Mandell

Steve Mandell New Member

I am wrong, I believe the Grizzly sculptor you purchased is an Original Marshall Mitchell. I saw a picture of it in Marshall's Sculptor catalogue that I own. Many of his works like "Ole Coonfoot and young brave" as well as "Two Alone" have been copied and made into cheap fakes, but I believe yours is real. Sorry about the earlier uninformed review.

judy likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Thanks for updating your comments Steve

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  13. Houseful

I always liked it, as my original comments, I hope you didn’t sell it cheap Journey. I’m glad Steve posted again.

komokwa likes this.
  14. journeymagazine

For the $300 I said - ouch. Oh well, still a profit!

Houseful likes this.
  15. Tim Lance

Tim Lance New Member

16. Tim Lance

Tim Lance New Member

Steve - I have a few original Marshall Mitchell bronzes that I don’t know a great deal about.
    If I sent you a couple pics would you mind educating me a little on them a little? Thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted