Featured Masonic medal 18k trying to come up with adequate appraisal

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by lennyt11374, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Since I was trying to figure out what stone in the center you meant, because all I see is light blue glass, mark me in this column too.

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It might be a chalcedony of some sort, i.e. agate. Glass might be the better bet, but with Victorian and Asian jewelry I never rule anything out.

judy likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The value of its metal exceeded the collectable value years ago. You could sell it for $50-100 as a collectable or $1000 as scrap. You can't sell it twice. You cannot add the two values together. It is one item. The rocks have no real value.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  4. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

I don't think what you saying 100% correct. Let's take a 2 identical vintage pocket watches. One is in gold filled case and the other one 14k gold. Both have a collectible value of let's say $200. When you sell both the price would be in a range $200 for gold filled one and $200 + gold content for 14k.

judy and kyratango like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Both have a collectible value of let's say $200.

Then, that would be their value.....

When I sell a $ 1500 gold bracelet......I can't tell the buyer.." Oh, by the way...it's another $400 for the gold ! "

judy likes this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Someone already mentioned that it's called a "jewel." This is a great collectible piece.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Have you contacted the lodge to let them know you have it? Dates to their earliest history. Surely they would be interested to see.

Debora

kyratango, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

I did but got no responce. Might try again at some point.

kyratango likes this.
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The lodge will want it for free. My husband's lodge keeps trying to get him to give them his late father's jewel and he's keeping it. He just got his 50 year pin.

Aquitaine, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Bronwen

All agate is chalcedony; not all chalcedony is agate. Most 'hardstone' cameos are cut in some form of chalcedony, so I look at a lot of it. It can be a translucent blue-grey. Have yet to see any that is an opaque blue in the shade on the jewel. This is more typical:

Chalcedony Athena.jpg

judy and kyratango like this.
  11. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

I have a wonderfull jewel from my grandmother as WHP, It has gold and pearls and diamonds and is quite heavy 14k. I have searched for a couple of years now trying to find a collector and have had no luck. Scrappers are the only ones interested. Kind of sad.

judy likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

keep searching.....:)

judy likes this.
  13. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

Why don't you send it to the auction? I've done pretty good with one of a kind items this way.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. That doesnt logically make sense at all.

Of course you cant sell it twice, and yes you can conbine the collectibility factor as well as the gokd content factor to come out with its actual value. What your saying is like talking to someone who collects gold coins and forcing that person to either value that coin as face value or gold content value but not both. Idk it just doesnt seem correct what your saying.

How can you say as a collectible its worth 100 bucks but as gold scrap its worth 1000. The gold scrap alone boost its collectible value to whatever gold is selling for, in that regard the value of the item itself wether collectible or not is intrinsically linked, and therefore cant and shouldnt be seperated, from collectibility vs scrap gold content. Just my opinion.

lennyt11374 and kyratango like this.
  15. Bronwen

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

Good idea, what auction were you thinking of?

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted