Masters trophy - silver?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by RS_CT, Sep 8, 2019.

1. RS_CT

RS_CT New Member

I acquired at an estate close to Meriden, CT this interesting trophy of a knife terminating in a file. I first thought, bladesmith award; however the wolf heads, the proximity to what was once a prominent silversmithing area, and from the patina on some of the metal work it appears to have some silver. Any ideas regarding origin or purpose?
    Masters_side (1).jpg

Masters_handle.jpg

Master_front.jpg

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, RS_CT! Very odd item. I take it, since you did not mention any, that there are no marks anywhere? If so, there will be no sterling, although silver plated is possible.

I doubt it has a "purpose" beyond some kind of recognition. But since "Masters" is also a not uncommon surname, it's hard to say.

scoutshouse and DragonflyWink like this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. RS_CT

RS_CT New Member

No markings elsewhere, on the blade or the base, except for that Masters plaque. Base is wood, blade guard, pommel, some handle banding, and the plaque have the patina of unpolished silver.

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. RS_CT

RS_CT New Member

Cheryl, there was actually a fox or wolf head cup very similar to what you had linked at the sale, but it was damaged and I di not purchase it. Of course now I wish I had, to look for a maker mark!

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There are no requirements that precious metal pieces be marked for content in the USA. The wolf's heads are commercially made knife/sword pommels available from a number of outlets. The "blade" was made from a file and the piece may have been an award from one of the many knife making clubs.

pommels
    https://www.google.com/search?q=wol...u8HkAhVFKKwKHbtfBTcQ_AUIEygC&biw=1513&bih=867

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    scoutshouse likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I think it is for cutting string, etc. You wrap one end around one of the wolves' heads and pull it across the blade. :):):):):)

8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Try setting something flat on the tripod formed by the ears and nose to see if it sits level - really looks more like stirrup cup bottoms to me...

~Cheryl

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not sumpthin ya see everyday !!:happy:

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Were it cheap enough I would have bought it too. I like buying mysteries. Fun find!