Mater Dolorosa

Discussion in 'Art' started by Siető Csilla, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Hello! I would like to know more about this church-themed painting. Mater Dolorosa, oil paint painted on a wooden board, its age and origin are unknown. Sizes: 24 * 29.5 cm Wood board thickness: 2.5 cm. Image Condition: The oil paint is fragmented as shown in the attached image. Thank you very much. Csilla. 143a.jpg 143b.jpg 143c.jpg 143d.jpg 143h.jpg 143g.jpg

KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Looks like something from an old church. Where did you get it?

KikoBlueEyes and Siető Csilla like this.
  3. Family heritage. Please, could anyone help when it's done?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks to me like one panel from a larger composition. The way she is posed, I suspect she was looking to a neighboring panel showing a crucifixion.

KikoBlueEyes and Siető Csilla like this.
  5. It’s possible, but unfortunately I don’t know specifically. It is also interesting that there is a landscape in the background. Thanks

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks right for church art. The distortion of proportions could well mean it was meant to be viewed from below.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It’s possible, but unfortunately I don’t know specifically. It is also interesting that there is a landscape in the background. Thanks
    Family heritage.Please, could anyone help when it's done?

blooey and Debora like this.
  9. Sorry, other times I pay more attention, I'm still learning the app. Thank you for your patience

blooey likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If she were looking toward the crucifixion, one would expect the background to be a landscape.

Debora

Siető Csilla likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted