Maxfield Parrish?

Discussion in 'Art' started by 2manybooks, Jun 12, 2019.

1. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I have this issue of The Century Magazine, December issue of 1914. The cover illustration is not credited, nor can I find any initials or signature in the image itself. I cannot find any other examples of this issue for sale online. (It does appear in a couple of bound volumes, but with no additional information.) I uploaded the image and did reverse image search on google and bing, to no avail. I have found that Maxfield Parrish did do other artwork for The Century, and this looks similar to some of his work. So my question to you all is - can you work your magic and find any evidence confirming that this is a Maxfield Parrish image or, if not, what other artist might be responsible?
    Thanks in advance.
    Century Magazine 1914-1 (579x800).jpg

i need help likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If I had seen this with no prompts, the idea that it could be Maxfield Parrish would never have occurred to me. Not in what I think of as his style, & I have his Circe on the wall behind me. Sorry, no idea who it would be. Seems a style that would have been suitable for illustrating children's books.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Individuals of these are "10 pins" valued at >100 and up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Possible - the stage effect is similar, but also very populate style for that period, too.

So I don't have any hard evidence, either :)

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Helps a lot!

Debora

8. Jivvy

9. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Funny, most of Bradley's work is along the lines of Aubrey Beardsley.

But, like Parrish, he has a few other genres out there.

10. 2manybooks

You guys are great! I think @SBSVC's find is the most definitive. It is nice to know that the Worthpoint people also thought it was Maxfield Parrish, though - Thanks @Debora. Will H. Bradley was an artist and illustrator in his own right, and though the American Printer and Lithographer article leaves it a little vague, I think the add in the Scribner's clinches it.
    Thanks so much!:)

11. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

The inside credits page will usually have a small print at the bottom saying who the cover art is by. check it carefully.

12. McAdder

McAdder Well-Known Member

13. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    easy to confuse

Figtree3, Bronwen, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  14. Jivvy

Nice find, definitely explains the confusion!

Figtree3, Bronwen, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  15. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Bronwen, 2manybooks and i need help like this.
  16. 2manybooks

Unfortunately, no. I went over all the fine print with a loup. Good suggestion, though.

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Oh, ho! Ho, ho!

2manybooks likes this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

SBSVC likes this.
  19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hi, @2manybooks -- you might already know this, but a large majority (or maybe all?) listings in Worthpoint are old eBay listings. The info in them might be correct, might not... As Debora mentioned when she cited that listing, there is no verification.

20. 2manybooks

I did not know that Worthpoint listings are often old ebay sales - but I do look at most identifications skeptically, if there is insufficient information. I think @alex webb's contribution shows why there could be confusion about the styles - and who wouldn't want it to be Maxfield Parrish? Wishing doesn't make it so, as we figured out. At least I can attribute it to Bradley when I try to sell it.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted