Maxwell Bust Developer - Large 3D Wooden Sign

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, May 4, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

iI found this today at a thrift store. It's a large - hand painted(?) - wooden sign advertising Maxwell's Bust Developer!
    I found 1 other photo of it but no info on pinterest + something about a Mark Eden bust developer on 'Julie's tacky Treasures'
    I'm sure this is a joke, but it seems there would be more info on it on the internet (my acer laptop uses Bing as the search engine and NOTHING came up about it so I googled Google and put it in their search and found the one on pinterest (I knew there was something because I found it on my phone when I first saw this one & tried to find what it was worth).
    Anyone seen this before?
    Thanks
    SIGN MAXWELL BUST  DEVELOPER 1A_AA.JPG SIGN MAXWELL BUST  DEVELOPER 1A_AAA.JPG SIGN MAXWELL BUST  DEVELOPER 1A_BAA.JPG

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Journey, I think you are correct that this is a joke. Likely a modern (possibly vintage) made-to-look-old sign. The one on Pinterest has a red frame, neither have any wear whatsoever, plus I don't think you'd ever find something like this on a novelty sign 100 years ago. Not an antique.

I do think that there were gadgets like the link above that were actually sold in the 60s or 70s, but I don't think this has any connection.

Journey, you certainly have a colorful thrift store.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I remember seeing a decent quantity of these type of signs in the 1980's/90's on Cape Cod in some of the "antique" & repro shops....some were quite nicely done..... but also don't remember what they were bringing....a lot of 'chests' were also being done like this........

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted