Maybe Silver Help with Marks

Discussion in 'Silver' started by cxgirl, Feb 3, 2020.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    This could be a long shot but thought I'd try - my friend sent me photos, this is the best one of the marks but still not clear enough for me to make out. She can't read what the mark is inside the dark, oval cartouche, thinks the maker initials are maybe JS & ER. hoping someone will be able to see them better than me, 3 1/2"L, the other set are silver plate.
    I've been going through London & Sheffield marks for makers starting with J in a shield but not finding any the same.
    No Lion, so probably silver plate but thought I'd ask
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    83527904_1456332474534054_4857487331784916992_O (1).jpeg 83527904_1456332474534054_4857487331784916992_O-1.jpeg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Definitely plated - that "Male" symbol below the shield would never appear in a British assay mark.

I get the feeling that the second line in the shield is EP, rather then ER, but that may be my brain filling in what it expects to see, not what is really there. ;)

You could add Birmingham to your list of places to look. Are you using silvercollection.it?

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you bakers:) I was using this site
    https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/index.htm
    I tried EP too, actually looked at all the 'E' marks and makers that start with 'J' and didn't find it.
    I've about given up trying to figure the marks out:)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

If it were solid silver that's where I would have sent you, but there are no plated marks there. It's intended strictly for sterling.

Silvercollection.it has a very extensive list of UK silver plate marks, searchable both alphabetically by first letter used in the mark and by maker's name. Either way also gives the option to see actual mark examples.

5. Adrian Lewis

Adrian Lewis Journeyman

Correct, and the crown and leopard's head are a contradiction in terms regarding English assay marks.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Crown and leopard together are only a contradiction if it's silver. Crown and leopard together are correct for gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted