Featured McCoy Bird Dog planter - help needed with date

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David Askett, Oct 26, 2020.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me date this Nelson McCoy bird dog planter? I’m guessing 1940’s or 1950’s but the more research I do, the more confused I get. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judy, Christmasjoy, Grateful and 3 others like this.
  2. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

It's shown on page 86 of "Sanford's Guide to McCoy" pottery as made in 1959 (or starting from then). Its wonderful to see that Paper label still on it! They usually disappear after the first wash or two!

judy, komokwa, patd8643 and 7 others like this.
  3. David Askett

Thank you, Joe. This is my second piece of McCoy pottery, now, which I suppose is the start of a collection. I should probably invest in the book you mention!

judy, komokwa, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

There is also a three book reference book set on McCoy Pottery by Bob Hanson, Craig Nissen, and Margaret Hanson that I like too.

judy, Christmasjoy, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  5. David Askett

Super, thanks!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

This planter is on page 79 of Vol 3 of the Hanson set. Page labeled 1959 catalog. Came in "brown or white with spray".

7. David Askett

Thank you, Janettekay. I guess mine is “white” but it’s more of a cream colour, in reality.

judy, Christmasjoy and janettekay like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yours appears to be an English Setter dog. I have an Irish Setter dog McCoy brand planter in green! I love the old McCoy pottery pieces, think you've picked a great place to start! :cat::joyful:

9. David Askett

I notice 1.49 handwritten on the label. This would be the original price, I presume?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Your welcome! I've gotten really good prices on used books through the Amazon used book sellers. I check the sellers ratings and read the condition descriptions. Books are often rated just "Good" because they have library markings or cover issues, but are often fairly pristine inside. Sometimes eBay sellers will also sell bundles of books fairly cheaply, but have to watch for those. Cheers - Joe

David Askett and judy like this.
  11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Yes. $1.49 went a lot further back in those days.

David Askett and judy like this.
  12. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Also if Dave has a secondhand bookstore in his area he might want to check to see if they have an antique and collectables reference book section. My area has several Half Price Book locations, a large chain of secondhand bookstores, and they have a few shelves of nothing but reference guides on a variety of subjects usually priced under $8-10 per book. They can also search the inventories of their other stores and have it delivered to your location.

David Askett likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted