Mcdonnell Douglas airplane prints

Discussion in 'Art' started by billyd3us, Sep 13, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I have 3 of these prints in acrylic frames, anyone know about when they where made ?
    1980's or so, think they where hung at McDonnell Douglas ?
    Any info please

Thank You

Billy D. 012.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG 017.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i had the A4 's fly over my head at an Israeli military demonstration....in '71..

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I worked at McDonnell Douglas in the 70s as a technical Illustrator.

The airbrushed originals of these fit on 30x40 boards (so as to provide better detail when reproduced at the size you have) and some did hang in the halls of the executive offices and around the plant.

There was a young (there were a LOT of not-so-young illustrators there) airbrush artist who became something of a plant art historian and conservator. He also flew a glider and traded rides in the Skyhawks with the Blue Angel pilots he became tight with...

Fun place to work...

Figtree3, cxgirl, judy and 5 others like this.
  4. scoutshouse

The greatest Blue Angel shows I've seen were in San Francisco - really exciting to hear them roaring all across the city and screaming through downtown. Yikes!

I don't know if I helped you @billyd3us, the prints are basically pinups for aeronautic fans.

Figtree3, cxgirl, judy and 5 others like this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The best air shows I saw weren't really air shows. When my husband was doing his active duty in Iceland, all the NATO pilots trained there. Amazing planes overhead all the time. The Stealth would sweep down just above the ground. Make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. The base is closed, now, so those days are long gone.

komokwa and scoutshouse like this.
  6. scoutshouse

Very cool, @Bev aka thelmasstuff

Back in the day, there was a concrete block on Aviation Blvd., where the LAX runways begin. You could lay on it and plane after plane would roar by just before touchdown.

Tooth rattling fun :)

Bev aka thelmasstuff and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted