MCM Drop leaf dining table. Any info please.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Houseful, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

41E73E53-EEE2-4920-A6D0-FA13300F97CF.jpeg BE810115-0A03-423A-AC9E-2DB4A6827209.jpeg Please can anyone tell me what sort of woods (top and base legs) this mcm drop leaf, gate leg dining table is made from please? It’s 5 and a half foot long, 38 ins wide and 30 inches high. I thought oak for the top then read they didn’t use much oak at that time, so could it be teak or elm? Legs no idea. Sorry the
    pictures are bad, I’m struggling a bit after an eye operation. The darker tops shown in the photos are more how it is colour wise. No makers marks I can see yet, there’s something on the hinges, cross head screws. I can’t get under it yet or move it because of my operation. Thanks. 36C7873C-7F06-44D3-AB2D-EC48FBE3BF24.jpeg 39F3A52E-05E3-4B22-83A9-B115AB8FC0F9.jpeg AB4097A8-E684-4E77-A4BF-8ACBE7E213C3.jpeg

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Here, those are usually beech with an elm top. I think that's Ercol.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. Houseful

Thanks OBB. I’ll have a very good look later for any labels and hinges when I can tip it over. It’s going to need some tlc, but for £4 I had to have it. Just love the jumble sales.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Might be worth emailing Ercol or looking at their pattern books online. Well worth what you paid!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Houseful

Finally.... found a small piece of a blue label underneath and it appears the table was made in the U.K. by Nathan.
    I’ve seen more pieces, a cabinet and display unit in the Charity Shop since I identified it, seems it was a sort of second tier Gplan, think it was perhaps a bit cheaper to buy originally. Seems my table would fetch around £45-60 at Auction but I think I’ll keep it as it’s better than the oak 40s lump I’ve got at the moment.

6. Ownedbybear

Ah, that makes sense. Not second tier: Nathan were expensive, sold by John Lewis. Good solid teak. Friend of mine paid a hundred quid for a coffee table back in about 1981.

7. Houseful

Thanks, maybe I should have bought the panelled cabinet for £10 in the CS last week. Live and learn.

judy likes this.
  8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

@Houseful

You`re gonna hate me.

I just took 4 chairs and a draw leaf dining table, 4 dressing tables and a sideboard to the tip, all made by Nathan :rolleyes:

9. Houseful

Oh dear. Didn’t you have to pay to tip them? We have to here in Norfolk, they’ll only take Garden branches and trees not even fence panels.

10. daveydempsey

I`m trade, I pay at the tip by weight, however most goes in skips, cheaper and more efficient.
    But Joe Public can tip wood and most other things for free if taken in a car or trailer.

11. Houseful

I just checked, it’s DIY stuff you have to pay for. £3 per item which includes doors and floorboards, sinks, kitchen units and fitted furniture, so you are correct that the Nathan items would have been ok to tip for free. The Mile Cross tip here in Norwich isn’t taking anything at the moment as they had a big fire recently. People are breaking stuff up to put in their wheelie bins to avoid the charges or fly tipping.

12. Ownedbybear

arg! Davey, can I persuade you to at least call the BHF or use Freegle/Freecyle? I hate stuff going to landfill: it actually increases your council tax for a start.

13. daveydempsey

They won`t take brown or large furniture.
    I can`t afford to hold onto it, I need the space.
    The wood does not go to landfill , it is recycled / pulped either into more furniture or used as fuel.
    85% of the stuff taken to our tips is recycled, metal, wood, plastics, glass. etc.

Books ,clothing and textiles go to BHF.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ah, our BHF is much better, they'd happily take that stuff. I get the space thing.

15. daveydempsey

I can just about get large boxes through the back doors of our local BHF., they take books, clothing and pottery.

They have a main depot that takes bigger stuff but I can`t hang around my lock -up all day waiting for them to come and pick it up within an 8 hour time period.

I do keep waste to a minimum.

I earn money by recycling copper, brass, aluminium and lead.

Anything placed in skips is recycled by the providers.

Jivvy, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

We've got a massive BHF with proper delivery space, that helps. I think we who do the antique thing are ultimate recyclers.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. daveydempsey

I even tipped two Parker Knoll easy chairs, mice had chewed the upholstery and bats had dumped on them.:rolleyes:

18. Ownedbybear

That, I get. ;) One thought, if you've the time. Down here there are charities for homeless/refugee/whatever resettlement and so forth who bite your hand off for good furniture and will commit to collect at set times. Dunno if you've similar.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  19. daveydempsey

We have plenty of charities but they won`t collect on demand.
    My neighbour had two nearly new electric recliners and some garden rattan furniture, about £2000 worth in total.
    Charity said we will collect sometime in the week. :D
    I took it all within an hour and flogged it on Gumtree:rolleyes:

We have more than enough refugees/economic migrants.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  20. check this link does this look like your entire table can't tell as you didn't send whole pic :)
    https://abtmodern.com/product/drop-...-bendt-winge-for-kleppes-mobelfabrikk-norway/

Draft saved Draft deleted