Featured Me and My Never Ending Questions!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Dec 27, 2023.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Just going through some bits to put up on eboo, but I've got some questions first! You're all very forebearing haha

Its a nice little bar brooch, costume, that I figured was no older than vintage. However the hinge looks like it wants to be one of the old types, or is this a new variation of it? Early 20th or 70s repro?

IMG_20231227_184604.jpg IMG_20231227_184628.jpg IMG_20231227_184638.jpg

Thoroughly modern earrings, but I thought I'd ask the experts what stone this is? Pink agate? Or perhaps some sort of resin look alike?
    IMG_20231227_185344.jpg IMG_20231227_185352.jpg

I did post these earrings before, but in a large post with a billion other things. I think we discussed these look like a marriage, but so far that's all I've got. The pendants are silver, the clips are not. Not marked in any way. Are these likely to be vintage or are they perhaps Victorian? I'm on the fence on whether to keep them or not. I think this year's goal is to find some true antique quality earrings, but so far they're few and far between and heaps more than I'd like!

IMG_20231227_185202.jpg IMG_20231227_185449.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the pink does look like a geo rock formation....:wideyed:

3. RachelW

Also, this one is a keeper for me to wear. It's seen better days but the quality jumps out the more I look at it. Its good and heavy, and the clasp tests as silver. It's looking 50s/60s to me, but the pearl styles changed so little I've not caught on to the little differences between eras, what sort of age can I attribute to her?

ALSO, I'm terrified to clean the beads because many of them are splitting. Warm damp cloth?

IMG_20231227_173802.jpg IMG_20231227_173626.jpg IMG_20231227_173618.jpg IMG_20231227_173517.jpg

Ty!​

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The pink one maybe a rose quartz geode with an electroformed setting.

5. RachelW

Right?
    Oh of course Quartz yes that seems likely. I did see some pink agate in the same shade, but none of the images were of geodes lol.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Brooch looks late nineteenth into early twentieth. I’d get it tested.

7. RachelW

These kinds of sentences always get the blood pumping! I'll check it later tonight. Ty for the date as well! I'm glad it caught my eye again.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Rachel-If/when I start listing things again I'll be asking twice as many questions as you ! When you putting it out on the Bay-it's gotta be right.

RachelW likes this.
  9. RachelW

Quite so!

10. RachelW

I've tested the brooch, looks good so far but I'm not convinced, I'll have to retest with some daylight.

komokwa likes this.
  11. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I always say firstly, most people won't know unless you tell them, so if it is a vintage revival, but it's the look you want, then wear it. Secondly, it's perfectly okay to pick up some inexpensive fun pieces to wear until you upgrade to a better find and then you can happily pass the old along if you want. ;)

RachelW, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The pink earrings look like dyed geode/druzy with gold plated onto the outside. The bar pin is old. The clip earrings don't look as old as they want to be, but I'd say more 1930s than 1950s.

Dessert58 and RachelW like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Those sort of puffy fat little clips do usually seem to be thirties into forties.

RachelW likes this.
  14. RachelW

Quite! I'm honestly not sure I'd wear them, unless I'm wearing silver or gold I generally like a bit more color and pizazz. These feel a little too solemn for my outings generally!

TY for the dating though! That's great to know.

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.:)
    100% marriage.
    Vintage. The clips could be older than the pendants. Similar pendants are still being made.
    :nailbiting:
    I think that anything you do that goes any further than a gentle wipe with soft cloth will damage them even more.
    Maybe the costume joolies have a better idea.

RachelW and Dessert58 like this.
  16. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

I would say, the pearls, if they are splitting...just let them go
    Something else will get on your path.

RachelW, mirana and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree. Even wearing them will potentially damage them more.

RachelW likes this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Or else just take the coating off entirely and wear them as white beads. Sometimes the base under the pearl coating looks better than the pearls did originally.

RachelW likes this.
  19. RachelW

Thanks all, I just hate to do nothing with it. I would like to keep my peepers peeled for a similar one though, I like the idea of wearing them. Can you tell I'm in my 30s-50s era? :hilarious:

Anyway, much appreciated on the pearls! I did actually find a real pearl necklace in the lot, but its a very small strand with very small pearls.

This one is nice quality (knotted = better right?), and in much better condition. No peeling, just some dirt. Old cotton?

Also something for the bag people! Its a bit big for a coin purse, but surely too small for a normal bag? Its cool nonetheless, I just have no clue about it or its age.​

IMG_20231228_155413.jpg IMG_20231228_155304.jpg IMG_20231228_155318.jpg IMG_20231228_155325.jpg

Also regarding the possibly gold brooch:
    My conclusion is inconclusive. It wants to test for 9k but then slowly disappears over time.
    I request a viewing from the jury. This photo shows it about 20s after application.
    IMG_20231228_154311.jpg

Any Jewelry and mirana like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

I love that little reticule. Someone made that in the late nineteenth or early twentieth century.

Draft saved Draft deleted