Meaning of cannon inscription?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by springfld.arsenal, Nov 15, 2022.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Sry best photo avl.
    This mystery inscription is on a small bronze cannon maybe 3 ft. Long, present owner unk, but I’m really interested in any ideas on the meaning of the inscription. Supposedly found in Boulder, CO., decades ago. Spanish? Portuguese? Santa Fe as in MN or what? https://www.flickr.com/photos/189102681@N07/shares/6M3RD46xy8

dude and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

As in NM. Would be surprised if there is one in Minnesota.

dude likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Santa Fé means "Holy Faith" so the inscription doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a location.

Debora

dude likes this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Thanks. Nice lady named Deni said:
    “interesting conversation and interesting inscription. I would have to see more of it but what I can read is as follows:
    enemigos de nuestra Santa Fe
    enemies of our holy faith
    without other photos I can't be sure what else it says but I think it was a weapon used against their enemies in a successful campaign. I think it says victoria contra as well? Victory against the enemies of our holy faith.
    It reads like Spanish to me. but I can't see the full inscription.
    without seeing the full inscription I can't tell you whether references the place or whether just our holy faith.”

I’m pretty sure it means Holy Faith.

dude likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The only word I can read completely is "Los" so Spanish, not Portuguese.

Debora

dude likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not my subject but... I'd assume -- and, of course, this may be really wrong -- that the only reason it would carry the name of a location (such as Santa Fé) is if it were cast there. And, beyond the city in New Mexico, there are many places named Santa Fé all through Spain and Latin America including a fort in Chile.

Debora

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    dude likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Perhaps it uses this phrase: "...infieles y enemigos de nuestra santa Fe Catolica" or "... infidels and enemies of our holy Catholic faith."

Debora

dude likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Goof catch SayIt- a very interesting story. 'Uncle Harry found it digging in his garden'-a 17th century Spanish swivel gun !?

dude likes this.
  10. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I may be way out in left field, but, to me, the one line looks like "Amigos de NRA (friends of the NRA--National Rifle Association)"

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I can also make out 'Vict', presumably Victoria, so Victory.
    Nra in Spanish is an abbreviation of Nuestra, Our.:) So Nra Sta Fé is Nuestra Santa Fé, Our Holy Faith.

I don't think the National Rifle Association dates back to the 17th-18th century, and they didn't have a Spanish-Mexican branch.;)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    dude, sabre123 and Bakersgma like this.
  12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The NRA was founded in 1871.
    As an aside,but still regarding 'swivel guns-some of the most striking naval swivel guns ever made were the 'Lantakas'.
    Here's the wiki description-'Lantaka or Rentaka was a type of bronze portable cannon or swivel gun, sometimes mounted on merchant vessels and warships in Maritime Southeast Asia.It was commonly equipped by native seafaring vessels from the Philippines, Indonesia, Brunei, and Malaysia.' They were decorated with dragons and other mythical beasts and are some of the most beautiful weapons ever made.

dude and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted