Medical Tool? Spreader?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Kronos, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Found this at the flea market this morning. Thinking it's medical related. Looks similar to some rib spreading tools, but not quite. No markings besides some part numbers stamped in. Doctor/surgeon or veterinarian/farm related, I don't know. Seems to have some age to it though. 1920-30's or maybe earlier. Measures 11 inches long.

tl2.jpg tl.jpg tl3.jpg tl5.jpg

Rayo56 and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

neat...but I'm not seeing medical...

Rayo56 and judy like this.
  3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Seeing a vague resemblance to a medical "spreader", wondering if is has a veterinary connection? Though sterilization may be an issue.

In any even, it appears to be a spreader of some form and there are hundreds of instances where a spreader is used, so if it is task specific it may be difficult to pin down.

Fid, Kronos and judy like this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Well, I think we can eliminate butter and jam...

Firemandk, Kronos, quirkygirl and 5 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the way the center piece moves...when two arms spread...the other 2 close....

sooooooooo....... hummmm???

Kronos, Rayo56 and judy like this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Starting in the 20's Stainless steel was used to manufacture medical tools . Seeing yours is rusting and looks way later than a 20's device I'd say not a surgical tool.

Kronos, komokwa and Mansons2005 like this.
  7. Mansons2005

I agree that it is not stainless, but it does look like cast aluminium to me. Which is belied by the rust, but doesn't that happen to certain coatings, finishes on aluminium? Asking 'cause I don't know..........

Kronos likes this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

You can see the plating coming off in places - so it looks to be plated iron - whether it be cast or stamped

Fid likes this.
  9. Mansons2005

Ah...............now that you point it out I see it...thanks!

Rayo56 likes this.
  10. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Could you give some measurements please?

Does it 'ratchet' by using the 'hand grips' and then lock in place with the handle part that has the 'spring' insert?

Any markings to correspond with the increment markings? Any company name?

Trying to imagine why all the hang rings. . .

Kronos likes this.
  11. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Well, I had this piece in the past that had obvious iron components and was from the 1930's. ( https://www.antiquers.com/threads/dr-lorenz-bohler-medical-tool.20435/ )This one doesn't seem "way later" than 1920-30's to me, but I guess that depends on your definition of way.

As I said in my original post, no markings besides part numbers. 13 and 7. The center section moves when the top lever is pressed down. No measurement scales. Also, as mentioned in original post, 11 inches long. It would spread something about 4 1/4 inches I guess (measuring the outside length of the small tabs when separated the furthest.)

12. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I can't imagine this matters since I don't have a clue what I'm talking about and the rings are confusing/frightening me, but is it possible the arms are on backwards?

They just seem opposite to all the other "spreaders" the internet shows me and maybe if they were reversed, someone would say, "oh now I know what it is."

I know, I know.

It's a stretch.

*thank you, thank you very much, I'm here til Thursday, try the veal, and tip your waitress*

13. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The two short horns are squeezed together with one hand, causing ratchet to go “click click click.” The long horns increase separation, click click. Ropes attached to rings are tensioned, click click. I don’t think it is golf-related.

kyratango and Kronos like this.
  14. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Everything is attached based on how it fits together. The only thing you could change is putting in the center part reversed, but that would mean big/little/big/little and not looking/functioning right.

You have to put a considerable amount of pressure on the small pieces to make it move if you aren't pressing the top lever. Enough to make your hand uncomfortable. It won't move at all the other direction.

15. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

So the top 'handle/lever' (with the internal spring tension) is the part that activates the ratcheting?

Does this mean it is a 'double' spreader? (short horns and also long horns)

Ok just a WAG: tire spreader for removing tires from rim. . .two different sizes.

Still don't see a use for all the hang rings.

Kronos likes this.
  16. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

The top lever raises/lowers the pin piece that locks it in place with the saw tooth like bar. You just move it back and forth. It doesn't advance on its own.

I don't see a company bothering to nickle plate a tire removal tool, but I suppose it could have happened. I think another clue is how easily its meant to be taken apart.

Jivvy likes this.
  17. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Hand strength tester. The long horns with rings on bent ends had a common rectangular weighing scale between them. The difficult-to-design part was a way to preserve the maximum squeezing force achieved, thus the ratchet which prevents loss of position until the button on top is pressed after recording results.

That’s mah story and ah’m stickin’ to it.

i need help, Jivvy and Rayo56 like this.
  18. Mansons2005

I am still hung up on thoracic retractors...............but the only ones I find on Google are close, but not exact. But then again, there are so many "models" of retractors that his one my just be missing from the cache.

i need help and Jivvy like this.
  19. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I hafta say, this one is making me a little bit crazy.

i need help likes this.
  20. Mansons2005

1.jpg

upload_2019-8-11_20-46-4.jpeg

1.jpg images.jpg Cardiovascular-Thoracic-Titanium-Surgical-Instruments.jpg
    These are "people" retractors.........I think the ones in this post are veterinary retractors..............depending on size of course.................

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted