MEIJI Period? Japanese Necklace

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by vitry-le-francois, Feb 8, 2019.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

I was told this necklace is from the Meiji period. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

aivory2.jpg aivory3.jpg aivory4.jpg aivory7.jpg aivory6.jpg aivory1.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Unless someone can verify the mark on the back and determine the time period they carved,no one can give a date or time period.

judy likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's important to remember that Japan's Meiji period was (roughly) equivalent to the Victorian + Edwardian periods in the West. Your necklace appears to be late 20th century (if not newer.)

Debora

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's worse than that Jim, it's ivory. It's probably 1980s or something, about the latest time ivory could be exported easily.

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Awww...so cute !!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

v-l-f, what is the size of this? Is there a hidden clasp here?

ivory necklace 1A_LI.jpg
    I would be wary of a seller's claim that an ivory item is Meiji period. It is safer for seller & more appealing to potential buyers to see ivory as antique, but something about this piece feels wrong to me. I think it is mainly the flat-backed carved plaque, when Japan is so noted for work in the round, & the way the plaque is attached to the beads, like something a home crafts person would do. It is easy enough to make ivory look old. My guess is this is modern Chinese meant to look Japanese.

Figtree3, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's a (roughly) similar new item advertised as mammoth ivory.

61a961990273e845a1ea98456a6e6008.jpg

Debora

8. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

WOW! Very interesting replies! THANKS to all who have contributed. Debora, what is that example you posted selling for?

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My only thought would be that (to me!!) I think the ink around the boy’s eyes looks a bit sloppy...... otherwise I really like it......but I gather Ivory is still a problem.......?

judy and kyratango like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The 'cute big head' style of the necklace is very recent.
    Mammoth ivory is ok in many countries, although there is concern about the 'harvesting' of ancient mammoth tusks. I don't know the details, just that more and more tusks surface from Siberian ice as a result of global warming.
    And you have to be really sure it is mammoth ivory and not elephant.

[​IMG]
    Cross sections of elephant (left) and mammoth tusks (right) with outer Schreger lines marked, showing characteristic angle difference.
    https://makezine.com/2012/03/29/how-to-tell-mammoth-ivory-from-elephant-ivory/

This is the problem when people don't know or check the Schreger line difference:
    https://news.nationalgeographic.com...-trade-legal-china-african-elephant-poaching/

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Figtree3, judy and kyratango like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting and informative thread. Thanks, all--

13. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

well carved ivory item. the two characters on back are chinese柳月,LIU YUE, which looks like the makers name because it is not a description of the item. consider the ivory color for age, and ivory price is super high in china in the past 20 years, and government ban, i would guess this was an export item in 1980s

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would agree with that date.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted