Featured Meissen Crossed Swords Mark

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kraftblue, Jan 27, 2020.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Picked up this bowl today. There is a number (23) in the swords. Would that mean the year?

mei1.JPG mei2.JPG mei3.JPG mei4.JPG mei5.JPG mei6.JPG mei7.JPG

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A little bit of work went into that! Beautiful.

judy, Christmasjoy and blooey like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Agreed, a beauty!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

judy, patd8643, Christmasjoy and 9 others like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Good call @anundverkaufen - lovely thing in it's own right too!

The only mysterious thing about it being Choisy etc, is that AFAIK they were primarily majolica makers and this bowl wasn't made by a factory inexperienced with working in porcelain ..plus it looks EXTREMELY Germanic, All that blumen and reticulated work ..Is it possible another German maker copied the Choisy-le-Roi mark which itself copied the Meissen mark?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    judy, anundverkaufen and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think it's all BS - all this porcelain stuff out there called "Choisy-le-Roy" is not French, some other factory in Germany using the mark is my call.

KikoBlueEyes and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

That etsy bowl is far too sloppy to be 18thc., 20thc. is more like it.

9. Jeff Drum

The etsy bowl is just about identical to the OP bowl. I agree not the quality of 18th century meissen; that was clear before even looking at the marks (e.g. far too thick). But the Choisy-le-roy mark was supposedly used up until the late 19th century when Meissen sued to prevent its further use, which is presumably when these would have been from.

10. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Wow! Alot of great info you guys have given! Thank you!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Pretty bowl either way!

KikoBlueEyes, Christmasjoy and blooey like this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

They didn't make porcelain at Choisy-le-Roy, though, just pottery, and not in that style either.

13. Jeff Drum

I'm just quoting from the link anundverkaufen provided:

Choisy-le-Roy (France – Seine)
    [​IMG]

Founded in 1786 – By: M. Clément
    Used From: 1786 – 1886

In 1886, after an official complaint by Meissen, Choisy-le-Roy was forbidden to make further use of the crossed swords mark.

I can't vouch for its accuracy, but antique-marks.com seems to be a pretty reliable source. I have run into similar porcelain that is in the same decoration style, and I believe it to be 19th century French.

14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes, I read that link and yes, that is the mark etc.
    I just don't agree that the porcelain bearing that mark was made at Choisy-le-Roy. The pottery maybe, but not the porcelain which I think is a mis-attribution - perhaps universally (internet) accepted, but nevertheless incorrect.

In fact, I would be very surprised to see ANY French porcelain decorated in the Deutsche Blumen style - apart from mis-attributed Choisy-le-Roy articles and Samson copies of Meissen originals.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Fid and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. Jeff Drum

Well, maybe this will clarify things. There are two different companies, Choisy-le-roi and Choisy-le-roy. It is the Choisy-le-roi company that made mostly majolica.

The other company, Choisy-le-roy is the one that antique-marks is talking about using the Meissen-like mark. I don't know whether that is true or not, or what they are basing their citation on, or even how reliable antique-marks is. So you could be right that this is a mis-attribution? Does antique-marks have other known problems?

Nevertheless, the Choisy-le-roy company is documented in other reliable sources. Kovels Pottery and Porcelain 1650 to 1850 has a mark for Choisy-le-roy described as "France, Hard-paste porcelain, established 1785". The online site oldandsold.com has the same mark as Kovels for the Choisy-le-roy company, 30 below, and they also have the Choisy-le-roi mark, 31 below:
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted