Meissen or Fake Meissen

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Rosie1510, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Rosie1510

Rosie1510 New Member

Hi All!

I have recently aquired two beautiful ewer type jugs and believe the signature could be Meissen..

Upon close inspection the swords possibly may not actually be Meissen but a very good fake (which is still fine as they are fabulous).

What do you think? Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks

Rosie ☺ IMG-20210310-WA0007.jpg IMG-20210310-WA0008.jpg IMG-20210310-WA0009.jpg IMG-20210310-WA0010.jpg

2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I don't see the quality I would expect in true meissen. Blue background slops over or under the design outline. Also looks quite new without age, for whatever that is worth.

KikoBlueEyes and Rosie1510 like this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Agree with Jeff re: quality.

Also, Meissen is still (!) in business, and you can contact them for an opinion.

Boddah and Rosie1510 like this.
  4. Rosie1510

Rosie1510 New Member

I hadn't even thought of doing that! Thanks so much for your input ☺

5. Rosie1510

Rosie1510 New Member

Thank you Jeff, I'd also been looking at the sword mark on the bottom and it just looks slightly different to the old Meissen marks so I think they most probably are fakes. Even so they are lovely and cost nothing ☺

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't think they're fake Meissen; people have been using a crossed swords mark for ages. These wouldn't even fake me out into thinking I had Meissen.

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Possibly Japanese import, or other European factory, I think. May have had a sticker with country of origin on it. Definitely not Meissen.

Fid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted