Metal Coin Bank Laquer & Inlaid Asian Dragon - Anyone Seen One Like This?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by R Ewing, Nov 10, 2020.

1. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

I picked this up at a thrift shop out of curiosity but I can't find anything like it online. Constructed of sturdy metal just over 1mm thick (bottom seems less thick) and coated in a plaster of some type, then lacquered and inlaid with a dragon, water/smoke, and butterfly design on lid that seems to be of mother-of-pearl. Slot in center.

Side painted black with a different mother-of-pearl motif.

8cm tall, 13cm diameter.

IMG_2230s.jpg IMG_2232s.jpg IMG_2234s.jpg IMG_2235s.jpg

2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Bottom looks like metal, but could the rest of it be wood? What does it look like inside?

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Korean

aaroncab and R Ewing like this.
  4. R Ewing

It's definitely all metal structure. Under the lacquer is a layer of grayish white material that looks chalky but doesn't flake when scratched. I didn't push too hard though.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's kind of looking like "someone broke into the bank"!! Or maybe it's just cracking finish............?

blooey likes this.
  6. R Ewing

Yes, finish is cracking and I think you're right, on the bottom it looks like someone cut out a rectangle shape to get what was inside! And then the bottom sort of caved in. It's just such a curious item. If only it could tell it's story ha.