Metal little bottle

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by gerspee, Oct 6, 2021.

1. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

I think I like more answers with real fact's about this item :yawn:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hope springs eternal.;) If all rare items were valuable, I would be extremely rich.:D
    Seriously though, it could have been a home decor line that had only one production run because only two or three people bought it.

3. gerspee

Me will investigate the metal soon ;) and let you know

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Do you have a way of doing that yourself? Personally I don't think it is worth spending extra money on it.:bag:

judy likes this.
  5. gerspee

I do have some ways off finding out and there's traces to bee seen from bronze/brass under the silver at the bottom ring . So if so then it is probably not a younger home decor item but more like a good made copy/replica off something very old or still very old but maybe polished once the make it more nice . So still the question where to find something similar in construction and/or the same design ? From there it's maybe easier to make out what my item is . And there is traces off age on the bottom ring but fine scratches all the way around .

6. gerspee

Photo's taken with microscope about the material used

3 (Middel).jpg 5 (Middel).jpg 7 (Middel).jpg 1 (Middel).jpg 2 (Middel).jpg 6 (Middel).jpg 4 (Middel).jpg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, looks to me like a bud vase - over the years, have run across quite a few similar heavy, crudely cast brass vases, usually bearing 'Made in Italy' labels, would suggest inexpensive mid 20th century giftware...

~Cheryl

judy, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Just a few comments about décor or giftware items: I sometimes hear about items that are thought to be rare or antique because the owner hasn't found any comparable items online. However, I have noticed that there are no printed or online catalogs or other research materials for older giftware items. The companies that make them change their designs, or the fashion market moves on, and so comparable items are not found in the current catalogs or inventory of those companies.
    It may be that 5-10 years ago the décor stores sold thousands of the exact item, yet today they are hard to find online.
    Rarity or hard-to-find-online doesn't mean antique or valuable, in my opinion. At least that has been my experience.

BoudiccaJones, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  9. gerspee

I don't think it's mend to be a vase . Looking at the way constructed and the top end I would believe more to be a container/flask where a stop would be placed to seal the container/flask . And have my knowledge off metalwork and this is not a easy thing to construct like this . So I don't think gift ware but a used item . So still the need where the construction methods are used so where in the world ? Asia or eastern Europa . Or America North or South . Who has some examples ?

10. Any Jewelry

There is no way you can actually use it, with that rough interior.

11. gerspee

But not when it's maybe used for gunpowder and then the material is also the right one as brass or bronze is not able to make sparks in contact with other materials . So a flask with a cork stopper as gunpowder container is a possibility :cat: my dear Watson

12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I don’t have any great knowledge on this. So really just my 2 Cents: Yes,it looks like a sand casting and then textured. When I look at this it reminds me a lot of something like see link below (but more crudely and ‘individually’ made) and in a bud vase shape. Also ‘rivet’ look area.

https://m.indiamart.com/proddetail/gold-finish-flower-vase-2816704791.html

judy, DragonflyWink and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Not really. Powder flasks have narrow, non-flaring necks, often spout-like (nozzles), otherwise the gunpowder will spill. Elementary.;)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  14. Any Jewelry

A few random examples of gunpowder flasks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BoudiccaJones, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

To my eye, appears very likely to be vase and suited for little else, and not well suited for some kind of 'cork-stoppered gunpowder container'.

Might ask, where are your examples of what you want this item to be? And perhaps you might explain the intricacies of its workmanship that make it so much more than the fairly recent cast item of rather poor quality that it appears to be.

As already mentioned by others, there are any number of places this could have been produced, I mentioned seeing similar items from Italy, but have no knowledge of where your item was made. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, did a very quick search for Italian vases with their labels intact, found some with similarities, though these don't have a foot like yours, they do show the same quality of construction.

~Cheryl

This seller apparently doesn't understand the piece is cast rather than hammered:

https://www.esotericstuff.com/go/hand-hammered-heavy-brass-vase-italy/

brass-bud-vase-italy-3a.JPG

brass-bud-vase-italy-3b.JPG

Set of three:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/567642...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

brass-bud-vase-italy-2a.JPG

brass-bud-vase-italy-2b.JPG

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/79112075

brass-bud-vase-italy-1a.JPG

brass-bud-vase-italy-1b.JPG

16. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Some ‘good’ examples those..

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. gerspee

Think the look like mine but probably never know all about it :pigeon: but good discussion for my 1 euro second hand shopping spend if you think about it :cat:

judy likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

At least you learned something along the way. But boy, are you persistent!:joyful:

BoudiccaJones and judy like this.
  19. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Reminds of the Mythbusters saying: “I reject your reality and substitute my own” :)

20. gerspee

Thanks all for the comments and whatever it is I still like it :)

Any Jewelry, judy and Boland like this.