Meteorite Help

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Mario, May 7, 2024.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I was wondering if of you all m1.jpg m2.jpg m3.jpg m4.jpg m5.jpg m6.jpg m7.jpg m8.jpg can give me your two cents worth on this sphere that I've had on the backburner for a while. Always wondered what it is and now I'm pretty sure it is a stone meteorite, it measures roughly 2" and has a nice fusion crust. it is not magnetic but at the same time I hung it on a string and it does have metal albeit minute, interesting in that parts will attract to magnet and other parts will repel. Another thing it its like pliable, not clay pliable but if you squeeze it on its sides it gives but it doesn't break. Your input will be greatly appreciated and thx.. Oh it weighs 148.6g.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Unusual shape: iron-nickel meteorites are rarely rounded. Instead, they have an irregular shape with unusual pits like finger prints in their surface called “regmaglypts.” Fusion crust: stony meteorites typically have a thin crust on their surface where it melted as it passed through the atmosphere.

I've never heard of a space rock...that has give..???

3. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I know, it's weird but, yes, it has a little give. It's like squeezing both ends of an egg between your palms, gives a little but doesn't break. Never tried that?

4. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Also, it's not iron nickel. it's stone with a little bit of iron in it, not enough to attract a magnet but enough to make it move hanging on a string albeit barely.

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

slag from?

Lucille.b and Bronwen like this.
  6. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Would be solid metal if it were slag.

7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

If it has give like that I gotta say it sounds like the innards of a sports ball. Baseball? Cricket?

all_fakes and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Wheeble

Wheeble Member

Compressed cork, was used for many things in the past. And it can be almost as hard as stone.

mirana likes this.
  10. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very odd that you can ‘squeeze’ it a little. Have you checked if it can bounce? :)

mirana likes this.