Mexican art

Discussion in 'Art' started by mmarco102, Jul 19, 2020.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware exactly what this was, but really like the rawness, color and texture. An easy image search when I got home and BANG! Amate(amatl).

Sharing with the group and would like to know if anyone could date it? Post 60’, 2000’s or hopefully earlier ;) . There are a few tiny holes and I am not finding any online with the hut like homes. Every one I find online have the simplified 3D houses. The five types of boarders also seems uncommon. I could be over thinking this, could use some other eyes on.

Third image has these alien like rabbits, .... well that was until I saw the “small file image” I added, which I found on antiquers website posted In April 2018. Llamas maybe? :)

It is frail and About 23” X 15” it was rolled up when I picked it up, using water bottles in photos to keep it flat.

3D93B571-BB3B-4878-9F09-CE0E8EC9EFF6.jpeg 389E04D6-411C-4361-9642-B702A4A204EE.jpeg 4D1EF6C1-7E35-41D9-92FB-2C15BF0A033D.jpeg 9004B3FA-8547-4F59-BDEC-892990F21D5B.jpeg 2353D8D8-8FCA-48C6-948C-A33F6A52A19E.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's Mexican. No llamas.

Debora

lloyd249 and mmarco102 like this.
  3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Right, amate paintings are a Mexican folk art. However, I can see why there was confusion about the animals depicted. First, they all appear to have cloven hoofs, which eliminates the possibility of them being rabbits.

They also have longish, drooping tails, long necks, and long ears (which can be drooping, or erect.) The drooping ears and tails would eliminate them being llamas.

The colors are white, tan/gold, and brown. There aren't too many cloven hoofed animals that come in all those colors, that also have those other characteristics. But maybe they are not all supposed to be the same animal, although they do look a lot alike.

So I would suspect that there are two possibilities. First, they may not be intended to represent any particular animal, but rather a fantasy-type "generic" animal, similar to another form of Mexican folk art, the alebrije wood carvings. Or, they may represent sheep (the white one), a deer (the brown one), and "something else" (the gold one.)

I have several amate paintings, and I would think this one dates to the 1960s-1980s, based on the complexity and subject matter.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

'Spect they're meant to be goats.

Debora

Fid, reader, mmarco102 and 1 other person like this.
  5. mmarco102

Thank you very much for your input *thumbs up*, after reading and revisiting the image from the April post, I do see them more of an alebrije animal, as the ones in that post have elaborate tails and decor.

:)
    Wierd, I just notice only one guy facing left :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: must be Waldo

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    lloyd249 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I think some of the same "liberties" were taken with the physical depictions of the people, as were taken with the animals.

Not only is Waldo facing left, but his feet are pointing right. The woman in the lower right corner has her arms bent at what appears to be a physically impossible angle. And a lot of the people have eyes located between their nose and mouth!

Maybe, however, it's just an example of a Picasso influence.

7. mmarco102

Maybe Picasso developed his influences from them. ;)

lloyd249 likes this.
  8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The white and the gold one, maybe, but the ears on the brown one aren't right for a goat. Not that it really makes any difference, I guess.

mmarco102 likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I always love these amates.:) There is so much going on on this one, isn't there.
    There always has to be one, going against the grain.:rolleyes:
    Those are eyears, for both seeing and hearing. A very rare but useful condition.:playful:

mmarco102 likes this.
  10. mmarco102

A practice I have enjoyed over the years. :wacky:

I have read a lot about aliens :android: visiting the Aztec and Mayans centuries ago, but to have physical proof right here in my hands is mind boggling :pompous: You are always a wealth of information, my Lady. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Thanks, :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Amazing, isn't it?
    :D:kiss:

mmarco102 likes this.
  12. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

my thoughts also.

mmarco102 likes this.
  13. lloyd249

Volcano rabbits

mmarco102 likes this.
  14. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

That is doubtful, since he had developed his style long before this bark painting was made.

This type of amate painting didn't start appearing until the tourist industry took off in the Mexico City area in the 1960s/70s, and this particular one could be even newer. (Picasso had his first show in 1901, died in 1973.)

mmarco102 likes this.
  15. mmarco102

16. lloyd249

ya i know i was just being funny

In 1945, Pablo Picasso produced a series of 12 lithographs entitled The Bull, in which he began with a realistic drawing of the animal, progressing through gradual removal of ‘superfluous’ elements of the creature to reach a simple linear abstraction. This piece, showing the stages of abstraction, is in many ways emblematic of Picasso’s approach to the abstract; a daring experiment in reduction and non-conventional forms of representation, but one that never completely abandons the real.

Picasso’s art never reached the pure abstraction attained by pioneers of the movement, such as Kandinsky, Mondrian, and Delaunay, figures who made popular the idea that art could exist in its own right, completely separated from depictions of the real world. Although this idea can be traced back to Plato, the birth of abstract art is now seen to be in 1910, the same time at which Picasso was developing Cubism, although truly abstract works, such as Kandinsky’s Black Square, did not appear until a few years later.

17. lloyd249

I agree this is a fake or a repo made to look old imo

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The brown one is a deer. Chivos and a venado.

Debora

mmarco102 and lloyd249 like this.
  19. mmarco102

OK, NOW YOU’RE JUST HURTING MY FEELING, ;)

Curious...:pompous: is plagiarism considered a fake or repo as well?

https://www.ideelart.com/magazine/picasso-and-abstraction-by-ideelart

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:. You’re still funny ;).

FYI, It really is a painting on bark from Mexico or south America, hence not faking it. It isn’t trying to look old(although it is showing some), it is the coloring and grain from the tree bark(try zooming in on the second image).

That said, I alway appreciate everyones opinion. Thank you. :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  20. mmarco102

Thank you.:)..and so are you, dear :angelic:, and I am not just goating you :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted