Featured Mexican pottery - Large platter unusual decoration

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by verybrad, Mar 23, 2023.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not your usual design for Mexican pottery. Also has an unusual black back with an incised mark. Large 18" diameter and quite heavy. I assume this would still be considered Tonala? Age? Artist mark loooks like Voilva to me but can not find anything using that as a key word in search. Any insights?

Any interest in this kind of thing? I know some of the more traditional large platters can have some value but not sure about this. Was priced $20.00 originally at the Goodwill and I wasn't buying with those scratches. Finally got reduced to 99 cents on clearance and I snatched it up :D
    mexplat.JPG mexplat2.JPG mexplat3.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. verybrad

Mark looks very similar. Thanks!

komokwa, johnnycb09, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's what I see too. And a match.

Debora

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 8.51.42 AM.jpeg

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. verybrad

silva.jpg This one is best match yet.... so maybe from the 70s?

wlwhittier, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I see a lot of his work attributed to the 1950s and 1960s with no supporting details. And I can't find anything else about him on Mexican search engines. I'd think 1970s a safe guess.

Debora

johnnycb09, Bronwen and verybrad like this.
  9. verybrad

Thanks. The article you posted concerning 70s Mexican ceramics seems to be a pretty definitive source. Not sure where sellers are getting the 50s-60s stuff either. Design kind of screams 70s to me as well, though probably based on some ancient motifs. Not to mention, that mauve color in that one outer ring is pretty telling :rolleyes:. Just struck me as an odd piece.

Anyone seeing any kind of an uptick in the market for Mexican pottery? I have always liked it and have bought quite a few older and/or more unusual pieces over the years. Have sold very little despite putting it out there periodically. Consequently, I have several boxes of it stashed in my hoard.

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I didn't look at this thread when it first went up because I thought, Ho hmu, Mexican pottery. But this is stunning. So glad I dropped in & that the author has been identified.

verybrad, johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  11. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

That's a fine piece of clay, Brad!

verybrad, johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

verybrad and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted