Mexican pottery - styles / makers?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Oct 11, 2016.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me with keywords (Mexico region, style, etc) or makers for these three pieces? I see pieces called Tonala, Talavera, Puebla, etc., but I'm having trouble matching mine. Thanks!

1 - Owl, signed only "Mexico" on its tail - 5.5" tall

IMG_9307.JPG
    IMG_9309.JPG
    IMG_9312.JPG
    2 - Small owl - Signed "Mexico" with a maker's mark on the base - 3" tall

IMG_9314.JPG
    IMG_9318.JPG

3 - Unglazed sandstone-style finish vase with glossy glazed bird and floral design - Cardinal? - signed "Mexico" and "Z" on the base - 10.5" tall

IMG_9329.JPG
    IMG_9331.JPG
    IMG_9333.JPG

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think all three are Tonala and relatively new. . Can't help you with makers and it usually doesn't matter much.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Here is CA, Mexican pottery marks do matter. There are people looking for certain artists.

That said, what I see are fairly common items, and as Brad said, more recent.
    Owls are collectable again.
    Ken Edwards is a current potter who has people paint his designs. Some of them have their own signatures, but they usually also have the KE mark which I don't see.

The first owl has no signature other than Mexico, so the price would be lower.
    The vase is very nicely done.

Here are some sites:
    Ken Edwards - I can usually sell any of his items.
    https://ken-edwards-pottery.myshopify.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=ken...xNTPAhVK04MKHS5VDDMQ_AUICCgB&biw=1316&bih=858

Here's info on older more collectible Mexican pottery.
    http://www.mexicofile.com/net/pdf/mexicofilenewsletter200609.pdf

http://www.pocascosasarts.com/gal_mexpotteryceramics.html

Oh and as Brad said - Tonala pottery

cxgirl likes this.
  4. verybrad

Good to know some people find this collectible and thanks for the links. I have always had a fondness for older Mexican pottery. I can't give the stuff away locally (Midwest). I have sold some better pieces on ebay but nothing for much money.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Cluttered, that last link was AMAZING!!!!!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I had no idea there was also Talavera pottery from Mexico, I only know Spanish Talavera pottery. Is this like the virgen de Guadalupe, two totally different virgin Marys with the same title?

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Brad -
    It's not a large market, but more and more people who look at the Mexican pottery are looking for certain artists.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yes. It's simply a shared town name. Guess which came first. ;)

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  9. verybrad

When I was in Mexico in 1980, I was encouraged to buy a pot by Carlos Villanueva by a shop/gallery owner as being superior work and worthy of collecting. I did so and occasionally looked his work up over the years. I never found any kind of following for him and his works seemed to sell for about the same as unmarked pieces. Along the way, I picked up a second piece of his at a thrift store and still have them both. I now see that his pieces have some asking prices that are respectable on etsy, though ebay prices are lower with not much selling. Prices might be approaching what I paid for the first one ...... LOL!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ry&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Brad,
    Keep them. I made a horrible mistake once. A friend of mine says to me "Buy that purple Mao painting". I did, I had it for several years and I said "Who in the hell is this artist Warhol?" I paid 300 for the painting sold it for 225 dollars. Little did I know.
    Same thing when I lived in Manhattan. I was in the subway and saw someone chalked a barking dog on the black paper torn off a poster. I cut it off and had for a year or so and ended up giving it to a little black girl. She was in the PEDs unit at the hospital and wanted a dog but her Mom said no, since she had asthma. I always wondered what happened to that drawing.
    greg

11. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links, Pat. I appreciate your posting all those. And I agree, Brad, that they're relatively new - I just hate listing unknowns with generic keywords (especially when they're signed, and a chance someone will recognize the mark). But it probably won't matter in this case.

Greg, was the little dog drawing a Keith Haring?

12. gregsglass

Hi UncleChuck,
    Yes the dog was a real Keith Haring. I really wanted to keep that dog but the little girl broke my heart. Little did I know but Keith took off a year or so after I gave it away.
    greg

13. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Poor Keith - one of the most UN-conflicted artists I ever knew............and when he was at Paradise Garage with Larry spinning, you KNEW you were in for a good night/weekend....................

We once received hand drawn invitations to a party he thru, but I sold them eons ago, for a very nice price!

gregsglass likes this.
  14. gregsglass

Hi Mansons,
    You opened the doors to memory again. I miss Manhattan so much at times.
    greg

15. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Not only do I miss Manhattan, but today I am missing EVERYTHING from 1950 to 1990..............but particularly to 70s'80's. And all of those people..............

Drat! Now I'm nostalgic and teary eyed and will get nothing accomplished for the remainder of the day!

gregsglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted