Featured Mexico Beautiful Huge Brooch, Id Maker?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by thefathand, Nov 3, 2017.

1. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

s-l1mexicoJade600.jpg s-l1Jade600.jpg s-l.900 Silver400.jpg s-l1Jade2600.jpg s-l1Jade1600.jpg It's amazing how cheap Mexican and even some Native American 925 jewelry is selling for on ebay! I'm talking about Sterling Silver with stones, sometimes you see a piece like the one I'm showing listed as being jade. Although it looks really nice to me, I don't think it's really jade, is it? Also, this piece looks engraved .900, I don't know if that's good or not. I forget the name of the stone but I'm thinking someone on this forum will likely know. I have two questions on this brooch, it's a huge brooch like 2.5" across and 1.5" tall, and it's thick too. It's stored in my, boxes so all I have are the sellers pics. Anyways here's the three or four questions, I have. What's the name of the stone? Hold up, I meant to say three questions. lol Who is the maker? And the biggest question of all, what do you do with a brooch this huge. Oh, and why does it look engraved as opposed to being stamped with the makers mark? Anyone have any comments to offer on this piece? ~Cheers!

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The stone appears to be dyed travertine and the made in Mexico is stamped.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Perfect pictures fathand!
    JRR is the mark of a silversmith working for Tane Orfebres, a well-known jewellery firm in Mexico City. Ideally the mark should be accompanied by the Tane mark, but silversmiths occasionally made their own pieces.
    The mark is stamped. The Hecho en Mexico DF mark means made in the federal district of Mexico (City).
    As Holly said, the stone could be dyed. Is it translucent? Could we see a photo against the light?
    0900 is, as you said .900. It is the silver fineness, just below sterling, which is .925. It looks like it is correctly marked.
    In the US .900 is also called coin silver, because coins used to be made of .900 silver.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Going by your avatar, guessing my first thought about this will have limited appeal: get breast implants. This requires a serious bosom. I can, ahem, barely imagine the women who wore cameo brooches of the size & heft of a few I have. Fine figures, I daresay.

5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Wear it on a coat or chunky sweater :)

KingofThings, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you chased off her avatar...:hilarious:

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

His avatar. :D
    I was wondering why Bronwen suggested breast implants.:confused::eek::hilarious:

About the size of the brooch, wear it on a jacket or coat and think Mexican. They don't mind big jewellery.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

This appears to have a second mark at the opposite side of the JRR
    upload_2017-11-3_10-14-16.png

KingofThings, cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Enlarged:
    upload_2017-11-3_13-36-31.png

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Just the thought of breasts implants places a funny pic in my mind, too funny! I couldn't possibly wear this anywhere at all. Not that I have anything against being a man and wearing a brooch cause I actually do wear one. On one of my Members Only jackets, yes I like vintage clothing too. Right above the pocket I wear a piece that looks like the one in these pics. I have two of these pendants, one is a tad bigger than an inch tall and the other one is a bit smaller. I don't think I own the one in the pics, but I may. I appreciate learning about who made it AJ. Super!! $_FrntMsk57.JPG $_Mask57.JPG $MskRev_57.JPG

KingofThings and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

I have one of those too, but with the original nose pendant still in place. They are made after a small but famous Pre-Columbian gold mask of Xipe Totec, found in Monte Albán, Mexico:
    [​IMG]

12. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome and GREAT photos!
    ~
    You can lose the dupes in the EDIT option. :)

13. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

This is odd, I wonder why I'm getting double pics and my verbiage is in the middle? I must have broke the guidelines somehow. I must be blind, I don't see an Edit option, is the Edit option gone after a couple of days? Well, hopefully I figure this forum out. I appreciate all the comments and I will look around a bit. Nice piece AJ, I think the one I wear is like yours, you're right the nose ring is missing on mine. ~Cheers!

yourturntoloveit and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the gold one she posted is the original..

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I must confess I don't even know where mine is right now. Boxes, boxes.:rolleyes:
    But it is more like the original, with the nose pendant and the different sizes zigzag filigree.

16. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Yes, my smaller one has a nose ring but is different than yours. Yours has a different top and a pointed thingy on the nose ring itself. Here's some pics, I'll also post pics of my bigger one. I bought mine a few years ago, the price was considerably less than the price is now. This smaller one is like, 7/8" of an inch. You'll have to excuse the low quality pics but I'm not trying to sell it. :D
    IMG_5953.JPG IMG_5954.JPG IMG_5952.JPG IMG_5956.JPG

yourturntoloveit and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Found this mark, RBZ is a Mexico DF (City) maker.:)

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  18. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Cool! I like hearing that! Here's the larger one that I wear on one of my jackets. This one is around 1 & 1/8" inches tall. I looked at the hallmark and all I can say is it has the Eagle with the number 33 inside it. This is the one without the nose ring. I didn't want to take a pic of the reverse, takes too much time to unpin pic it and I still gotta get my list of things to do done. :D That doesn't include the honey do list that pops up every now and then, when I'm at my busiest. :D It's looks exactly like the one in the yellow pics and that may be it, idk. Anyways, here it is. :cool:
    IMG_5959.JPG IMG_5961.JPG IMG_5966.JPG

19. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Ok, I'm back to show the reverse of the 1 & 1/8" inch tall tribal mask! I finally made the time to capture the reverse and I was wrong, it doesn't have a 33 in the Eagle, it's an 83. As I grow older, it seems like it's a lot harder to take pics, it's not like I'm shaking or anything but I move a lot. It's probably my body screaming out to me, "dude get some exercise!!" 112.gif I'm hoping AJ will come back to this one and give some input if he has any. My font looks a lot smaller now, I'm gonna have to fix that. Hopefully, I will reboot and that will take care of it as I already changed it in my preferences.
    IMG_5990.JPG IMG_5997.JPG IMG_5996.JPG IMG_5994.JPG IMG_5985.JPG IMG_6007.JPG

20. Any Jewelry

That is Industria Platera Joel S.A., pre 1980. I don't know where they were/are located.
    That is usually found with the initials EMS, don't know who that is.
    Many companies made these masks, which are not tribal by the way, the Monte Alban cultures were non-tribal.
    Try putting the jewellery on a white piece of paper, shorter exposure time.;)
    if she has any.:(:hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted