Featured Mickey Mouse Inkwell

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David Askett, Oct 27, 2019.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

OK !!
    but a MM item with no markings...at all....leaves me scratching my head !!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I remember the dip pens in English schools in the 50's, inkwell on the upper righthand side of the desk, wooden pen with removable nib, piece of blotting paper ... one of the boys would fill the inkwells with ink every so often. One had to make sure that there wasn't too much ink on the pen .. light dip and then brush the pen against the inkwell rim to remove any excess ... Joy. :):):)

3. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

Here’s another Mickey Mouse inkwell with no markings:

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemD...ITH-MICKEY-MOUSE-DEANS-RAG-STYLE-METAL-FIGURE

Perhap these early pieces had stickers that are now lost? Or, maybe they were never marked, as they were unlicensed? I understand the first licensed Mickey Mouse item didn’t come out until 1930.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice find.:):)..but it looks even more hand made ....home made....than the plastic one.
    The figure may be authentic....but the wood base..???

I'm no MM expert....& maybe both these items are legit and super hard to come by.... I think Disney would know best.

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

I can’t ask Walt Disney about this item, so I asked “Bob the Mouse Man” Robert Crooker, an expert in early Disneyana. Here’s his reply:

RARE! Gotta be as I've never seen one before.

Looks like Bakelite but could be celluloid. I don't see any copyright markings so it is most likely an unauthorized piece. And, most likely from Europe. Probably from Germany. The time period is some time between 1932 and 1936. This style Mickey Mouse, (although I have nothing to compare to), just looks like early to mid-1930's.

Not very often I see a Mickey Mouse item for the first time now a days. Real nice.

So, good news!

Figtree3, cxgirl, kyratango and 6 others like this.
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Draft saved Draft deleted