Featured Mid 19th Century Campaign Chest

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Neece, Nov 4, 2022.

1. Neece

Neece Active Member

I have a mid-19th-century mahogany Campaign Chest in fairly good condition, however, it is on wheels. Would a 19th-century chest have wheels? I have seen similar chests with feet and some without feet but I can't find any with wheels.
    _MG_5481.JPG IMG_20221104_185944189.jpg IMG_20221104_190010593.jpg

Boland, Born2it, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wheels could have been added once the campaign was over......;):playful::playful:

Born2it, Frank, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  4. Neece

Neece Active Member

:playful: it is possible

Thanks, @KikoBlueEyes!

Any Jewelry and ulilwitch like this.
  5. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

The underside of the piece does seem to have some wear, as though it had been moved a good bit before the casters were added.

Quick question for my own edification, if I may. Does the term "campaign chest" indicate a design style? It doesn't necessarily imply an item has had military use, does it?

Neece and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

My understanding (and I’m sure someone here will be able to correct me if I’m wrong :) is that the *term* originated with furniture designed to travel with military officers, but “campaign” is now used to describe chests (and other furniture) designed to be used and relatively secure during long periods of extensive travel, rather than just surviving transport from point A to point B.

7. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

I’ve seen the term used to describe furniture used by traveling merchants, but I don’t know if the use is proper nomenclature, or if it’s simply that “campaign chest” is a lot shorter than “designed to be *used* during…” etc. etc..

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Neece likes this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not sure how you are getting mid-19th century on this. I don't see 170 years of use on this piece. Can you show us some pics to convince otherwise?

Ghopper1924, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

As a style it’s very utilitarian without many frills or indulgent decorative flourishes. Anything that would have been easily broken during travel. All of the stuff I’ve seen is just straight lines like the chest shown. Most that’s made for the home has brass hardware and brass reinforcing “strips” like the one shown. Also inset handles, again so they wouldn’t break off during travel/campaigns when that’s what they were used for. Very sturdy, heavy and well built. Even though heavy wasn’t great for travel it lent to its sturdiness. Also like barristers bookcases the pieces tend to be easily broken in down in sections for travel. Not all but many campaign chests come in stackable sections. I have a campaign inspired (or barrister) desk that breaks down into a top section with two side sections and it fits together. I love the campaign furniture aesthetic. So do others as it continued to be made long after its intent was for actual campaigns. I believe Henredon made/makes a lot of campaign style furniture.

edit: oh yeh the chests almost always have inset handles on their sides as well so that they could be carried easily by a man on either side. Lugging the generals heavy furniture around.

Ghopper1924, Neece and komokwa like this.
  11. Neece

Neece Active Member

@verybrad a couple of things. First, this is a piece that has been in my family for some time. It was my dad's (who is 90). Prior to that, it was his mother's and before that my great grandmothers (who was born sometime in the 1860s but I don't know the exact year. Additionally, according to things I have read online the lock on my piece is a copy of a Bramah lock not an actual Bramah lock. Apparently when the patent expired in 1812 people started making copies and marked them "Bramah London" ... the next patent come in 1871. But that is just my theory, I could be wrong.
    edit: I should note I don't not know if my great grandmother was the original owner or it was passed down to her as well.
    _MG_5441800.jpg _MG_5434800.jpg _MG_5443800.jpg _MG_5450800.jpg _MG_5447800.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    Born2it and Ghopper1924 like this.
  12. Neece

Neece Active Member

[QUOTE=" oh yeh the chests almost always have inset handles on their sides as well so that they could be carried easily by a man on either side. Lugging the generals heavy furniture around.[/QUOTE]

@J Dagger is there any knowledge we can gain about my piece for NOT having the handles on the side? It does have the two sections but not the handles. Thanks, for that great info!

J Dagger and Ghopper1924 like this.
  13. Neece

Neece Active Member

Oops I forgot the lock pic
    IMG_20221105_142847144.jpg

Born2it likes this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

15. Neece

Neece Active Member

16. KikoBlueEyes

Ghopper1924 and Neece like this.
  17. Neece

Neece Active Member

You are on fire @KikoBlueEyes! And, I was not registered but I am now! :happy:

Born2it, Ghopper1924 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I can easily see 1860s or 70s with this. It's just in unusually good condition to have been systematically used in "campaigning." Casters on the bottom would have been normal for this time period.

19. Neece

Neece Active Member

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  20. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

@J Dagger is there any knowledge we can gain about my piece for NOT having the handles on the side? It does have the two sections but not the handles. Thanks, for that great info![/QUOTE]

I don’t know enough to say for sure, that’s for sure. I think it would lend to it being made for home use rather than in the field but just a guess. I don’t know much about furniture, I just like the campaign style and my post was just what I could spout off the top my head. I’m hoping to find a chest or couple stackables for storage. A large armoire would probably be more practical but dang if campaign chests aren’t cool.

Born2it, Neece and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted