Featured Mid century bureau & nightstands- thoughts?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DivasFinds, Dec 4, 2023.

1. DivasFinds

DivasFinds Well-Known Member

Hey all you wonderful people!! Looking for your thoughts!! I picked up this (IMO) SUPER cool blonde mid century bureau and nightstands set at an auction. Really nice condition w the exception of a little chipping of the veneer on one side near very bottom side edge.
    Thoughts on value? Description & style? Wood type (maple?)
    20231202_153314_copy_450x1000.jpg 20231202_153332_copy_1000x450.jpg 20231202_153658_copy_1000x450.jpg 20231202_153715_copy_450x1000.jpg 20231202_153725_copy_1000x450.jpg I see values from like $10 - $500 so kinda lost here....only identifiable markings are the stamped # on back.

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  2. DivasFinds

TIA!

komokwa likes this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I've no idea whodunit, or with what wood, but my impression is 1960s/70s. An incomplete bedroom set (you don't show a tall chest of drawers, or a headboard/footboard, to go with the two nightstands and the dresser) of that style would be lucky to bring $100 in my midwest USA suburb... and frankly, it's more likely to be donated to the local charity thrift. Looks well made, though, I like the little vanity tray. Too bad today's furniture companies don't include things like that anymore!
    Sorry, JMHO, let's see what others think. :)

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think the color is right.....luv the night stands....so useable .....

maybe $ 195 for all, in the right marketplace.....

Figtree3, DivasFinds and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Just when I said I wasn't going to comment on pictures while on my phone..... Based on what I think I see, 60s seems right so think you can get by calling the style MCM. Middle of the road quality, American made. Looks like pickled (blond) mahogany. Maybe up to $300 for all on a very good day at retail here in the Midwest. A bit more in big city MCM hotbeds. Have seen similar go for under $50 in wholesale venues.

6. DivasFinds

I love your thoughts! In the Seattle area I'm in a good spot for better returns! Thanks Komokwa!

komokwa likes this.
  7. DivasFinds

Thanks Brad, I like your thoughts even more LOL! I was wondering about calling it MCM, but wasn't sure if the style was modern enough....thanks for clarifying!

PS....on a side note, I had a duplicate post on this (this always seems to happen when I post on my phone....can you delete it (was under the impression you were a moderator). I looked into deleting it myself but didn't see where I could do that (?) Please correct me if I'm wrong. TY!

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Also Komo & Diva-Love the cat avatars.

DivasFinds and komokwa like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's a difficult one. Towards the latter end of the period, maybe even a little later. Not quite MCM design, because I don't see a 'Modern' concept in the design.
    So I wouldn't call it MCM. Maybe just call it mid-century?
    I like that too, very useful.

10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Can't tell from the photos, but are these wood finished or formica veneer which was popular 50s-70s ?

Figtree3 and verybrad like this.
  11. DivasFinds

Yes definitely has a clear coat/veneer on the top of it

12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree, 1960s plus or minus. A really good thing going for it, it is VERY usable. The dresser is a nice size for a smaller room, but still holds plenty. (Almost) nobody wants the headboard any more, but the night stands can come in handy. Also GREAT handles on this and all are present!

It seems to be in excellent condition. Assuming the drawers work well, no spills inside, etc. especially in Seattle, you could try for the higher dollar amount and maybe say, "OBO".

"Middle of the road" quality for it's time, but things were built better then. I think this set would last 100 years.

13. verybrad

Now that I am on my PC and can see better, I think I was spot-on. These toned wood finishes were all the rage in the 50s and 60s. They are nearly impossible for a novice to replicate or repair and any damage negates value. Looks like this is in great condition. I also think the drawer pulls are the best feature.

I get that it is probably stretching to call this MCM. It is certainly a rehash/knock-off of MCM design and, if not MCM, what would you call it? calling it MCM will get the proper eyes to look and evaluate to their own criteria. Think this would do well in Seattle, so an upper end asking price would not be out of the question.

komokwa, Any Jewelry and DivasFinds like this.
  14. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Ditto on Seattle.

komokwa likes this.
  15. DivasFinds

So guys....i listed set at $550...too high/too low?

komokwa likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, they do. Overhere in the Netherlands night stands of any period do well.

komokwa likes this.
  17. verybrad

You probably know your market better than I do. Would be too high for here. You can always come down and/or negotiate so it is probably fine.

DivasFinds and komokwa like this.
  18. DivasFinds

My profile pic is of my late, great, surley kitty Jonesy. He passed at age 18.
    This is our current kitty Daphne, apparently she enjoys riding the Deere as well!

Attached Files:

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

too high for this time of year,,,,, and current inflationary climate........but like Brad said.....you have plenty of room to offer a discount....a deep discount....should a buyer emerge..!!
    I'd be at $440......and come down to $375 if necessary .
    100 for each night table...and 175 for the dresser.

ii think that would get em sold....... imo

DivasFinds likes this.
  20. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I agree with AJ that it lacks the "modern" of MCM, but yes to "mid-century".
    Do let us know how you make out with selling it.
    I seem to be the nay-sayer here, and don't think it will be desirable enough to bring more than $100 or so for the lot (at least in my area). I hope you prove me wrong!

Any Jewelry and DivasFinds like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted