Mid century modern stacked acrylic 'Grand Staircase' lamps - mcm or new?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by journeymagazine, Oct 21, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought these yesterday at a local thrift store - the manager told me they were MCM 'stacked' acrylic lamps, and a image search came up with a pair that had a great name - Acrylic Grand Staircase stacked table lamps!
    Are these mid century modern or new copies? Also, 1 base has cracks(?) running all through it - can that be fixed? (it doesn't look like it but hopefully asking!)
    Any information would be greatly appreciated!

FURNITURE LAMP ACRYLIC STACKED GRAND STAIRCASE MCM LAMPS 1BAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ACRYLIC STACKED GRAND STAIRCASE MCM LAMPS 1CAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ACRYLIC STACKED GRAND STAIRCASE MCM LAMPS 3AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ACRYLIC STACKED GRAND STAIRCASE MCM LAMPS 4BAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ACRYLIC STACKED GRAND STAIRCASE MCM LAMPS 4DAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ACRYLIC STACKED GRAND STAIRCASE MCM LAMPS 9DAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ACRYLIC STACKED GRAND STAIRCASE MCM LAMPS 9FAA.jpg

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Later than MCM. More like 80s. Cracking (crazing?) you are seeing is typical of old lucite that has seen temperature extremes. The individual pieces could probably be resurfaced but probably beyond the scope of most DIYers.

johnnycb09, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. journeymagazine

Thank you verybrad!

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Seconded. Those are safety prongs, so they have to be newer than Mid Mod if the wiring is original. Besides, they look straight out of the 80s.

5. journeymagazine

But they are Lucite right? I want to get my money back out of these ($150 for pair!) - the antique slag glass lamp I also posted I only paid $50 for & I like it more - if I have to keep it I won't mind!

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Slag glass lamp was a bargain. Not so much these. Might be hard to get your money back with that crazing.

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted