Featured Mid Century or ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DivasFinds, Jan 20, 2019.

1. DivasFinds

DivasFinds Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble with the style of this dining table....want to call it mid century, but then I'm like....nah.....

Thoughts? 20190120_141333-640x480.jpg 20190120_141054-640x480.jpg

FWIW, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

any marks or stamps underneath?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Looks Scandinavian.

judy, Christmasjoy and laura9797 like this.
  4. laura9797

certainly looks like teak to me.....Danish Moderne?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. DivasFinds

Hmmm, interesting. I'll look again but I initially did not see any marks on it

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks 1950s waterfall inlay on top, but really too hard for me to see the top wood.

7. laura9797

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It doesn't have those arched supports near the legs (I'm sure there is a better term) that Diva's does.

judy likes this.
  9. laura9797

10. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I repair/refinish/sell a lot of mid-century "MCM" Scandinavian and American furniture, and I wouldn't consider this to be in that style. I don't doubt that it could have been made in about that time period, but the brackets AJ mentioned, plus heavy legs kill the similarities to Danish Moderne that buyers look for: simplicity and grace of design is key. Doesn't look like teak from here, more like maple?

judy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is how I remember it from my childhood.

13. laura9797

14. DivasFinds

Think I can get $100 for it even though the top needs refinishing?

15. laura9797

I think you can and emphasize that it is an extending dining table which converts to smaller size - good for mid century modern apartments or small spaces.

James Conrad likes this.
  16. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It' a "draw leaf" table, not a clue on style. I would push the draw leaf part, handy in small spaces as @laura9797 was saying above. Draw-Leaf has a medieval ring to it, lol:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Aquitaine likes this.
  17. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Draw leaf is pretty popular w/ Scandinavian furniture due to the utility, but as others stated the way the bottom arches break the clean lines doesn't look very Scandinavian.

I would also agree that the legs are just slightly too chunky to be Scandinavian.

I am certainly no expert though, but if I had to guess you have a cool little draw leaf table with a lot of utility that someone could buy and throw some chairs too.

Just no real pedigree to the table that would make it collectible.

Not sure what you could sell it for though. $50-100 doesnt sound too bad to me. As far as the top goes, can you not wipe it with some light colored old english or something to help clean up the scratches?

Any Jewelry and DivasFinds like this.
  18. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Here is a Scandinavian MCM table I happened upon at a thrift a while back just to show you how yours is very similar, but just not quite there in my opinion 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg . The chairs at the end are actually DScan chairs I found separately.

I like your table and if I were on a tight furniture budget for my house, I could almost see buying it and jigsawing the arches down some lol.

19. DivasFinds

So how much would ya give me For it, theoretically?

20. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

I would just hop on facebook and see what people are pricing run of the mill tables in your area. You area matters a lot what you can get.

$50-$75 seems reasonable. Tables can be hard to sell sometimes if there isn't something special and collectible about them.

That vejle stole I got $500 for, but in better areas they can go for $1000+. Area is everything sometimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted