Featured Mid-Century Pop-Up Bar -- Value?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by dragals, Feb 24, 2020.

1. dragals

dragals New Member

Hi All,

New to the site and looking for some help. I have an art deco pop-up bar I purchased in Atlanta about 25 years ago (I think I paid ~$350 at the time but am really not sure). It looks like it's from Ditchburns Ltd. in Sunderland (read some great info about them on another thread here -- thanks for that). I'm looking to sell it and am not really sure how to determine what it's worth. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. It measures 54"w x 36"h x 21"d. Thanks so much.

bar1.jpg Bar2.jpg Bar3.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's lovely !

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks more Deco than MCM. Nice piece.

Lucille.b, Any Jewelry and Houseful like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Not ordinarily my thing, but WOW, what a beauty!

Sadly, the time to sell this ended about 10 years ago. You may get what you paid for it now, perhaps a bit more, in a big city but as you know if you hang around the furniture forum at all, "brown furniture" is in the dumper, value-wise.

But you've got some advantages. This looks like it's straight out of a Hollywood Golden Age film, and has a heavy "coolness" factor. Agree that it's more Deco (1935-45) than MCM, and all the nicer for it.

5. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Another definite Art Deco. (Much nicer than mcm ;))

Lucille.b likes this.
  7. dragals

dragals New Member

Thanks all. I've officially changed the intro to reflect art deco. And glad everyone likes it so much. I've always loved this piece and hate to sell it, but am downsizing and just don't have room. I'm just afraid of selling for too little. I offered it at $275 and someone immediately jumped at it, which is why I turned to this board to feel out its actual value.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

$275 does sound a little low for this puppy seeing as how it's Deco and so usable ....

Any Jewelry and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. flipper

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Later Art Deco, as in 1930s. It won't be 40s, we weren't making furniture then. Over here, it would sell really well.

11. flipper

I would buy it if I had room. I think it is wonderful.

12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What a fun piece! Assume you are in the U.S. since you mentioned the price in U.S. dollars. Not sure if it's being an English piece (in this case) is a plus or minus.

Value really depends where you live, how much of a hurry you are to sell it. I would maybe try at least what you bought it for, others may suggest higher. The only risk with going a lot higher is that it might not sell quickly. I notice that two of the handles seem broken a bit in the front if I'm seeing that correctly. Not a huge deal, but will impact value a bit.

The link that Flipper put in, that seller is asking $850 at a pick up only location 1.5 hours outside of Chicago. Agree that yours with the glass is MUCH nicer, but we know that a somewhat less nice version remains unsold at $850, within driving distance from what I would consider a pretty desirable pool of buyers. It is a piece of information on the upper end of value (unsold) for a somewhat similar model one notch down.

komokwa likes this.
  13. dragals

dragals New Member

Thanks all. Extremely helpful.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted