Midcentury etching (help please)

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jeff Drum, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I am no good at image searching, so hoping someone else with the necessary skills may be able to find this. It is obviously a true etching when seen from the back (black areas all indented) - image size 17-1/2" by 11-3/4". I included pics of frame and back. Frustrating that it looks like there used to be a tag on the back that was removed. There is much more detail up close than the pics show, not sure why the pics look so flat, probably poor lighting.

It is not signed per se, but looks like it was an early run with a "strange ink", and "X1". Could of course be a student piece, but I think it is pretty good so it could be better than that. Looks mid-century to me not only in frame and age of matting but in the subject matter. Any one have any ideas?
    P1093414.JPG P1093420.JPG P1093417.JPG P1093419.JPG P1093415.JPG P1093416.JPG P1093418.JPG

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Can’t help but interesting and if I had to date it I’d guess 65-75.

Jeff Drum and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I am guessing impression #11 of an edition. The squiggly thing might be a cypher used by the artist. I think it might be something that was done in class, the documentation seems a bit sloppy. I like the image.

Jeff Drum, Figtree3 and reader like this.
  4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Thank you muchly. Your suggestion made me take another look. And made me wonder whether what I'm interpreting as "Strange Ink" may not be a name? Something like "Strome MK"? Does anyone else see anything there?

Draft saved Draft deleted