Midcentury Modern Dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Maddie Wegner, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Maddie Wegner

Maddie Wegner New Member

I picked up this dresser today and was wondering the value. There are no markings indicating what brand it is and I've lost the sellers information. Any ideas would be helpful! Ive attached pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Maddie! Have you looked inside all the drawers for possible maker info?

Sophie Gould and James Conrad like this.
  3. Maddie Wegner

Maddie Wegner New Member

HI thank you for the response! I searched the dresser and this is all that I could find. Not sure if it is a different language

Attached Files:

Figtree3 and James Conrad like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Could be! Where are you?

James Conrad and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Maddie Wegner

Maddie Wegner New Member

I am in kansas

James Conrad likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Ok, just checking in case you were in Europe somewhere. We are an international site and many of our members speak languages other than English, but I'm not sure who to ask about this writing. I get an "abbreviation" vibe.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what did you pay for it?
    until we can figure out what it is......that's it's value !

James Conrad likes this.
  8. Maddie Wegner

Maddie Wegner New Member

I paid 175. Im interested more in the historical and background value rather than monetary.

James Conrad likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well.....your words.." I picked up this dresser today and was wondering the value."

I guess I misunderstood !!

I think you overpaid.....but....lets let the furniture guys come around and see what they have to say !!

@James Conrad
    @verybrad

I'm sure they will want to see some close ups...and a bigger photo of the front . back, and drawer construction...... If you please ! :happy:

upload_2020-1-10_1-54-36.jpeg

10. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Sorry!:sorry: Not A Clue on value, way out of my area of interest.

komokwa, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Maddie.
    The first word looks like 'totaal', which is Dutch for total or totally. The others look like abbreviations, I have no idea what they stand for though.

komokwa, James Conrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
  12. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

I don't think that the writing has anything to do with the dresser.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Pics are really not sufficient. Assuming very good condition, I think you did OK price-wise if keeping for yourself. I am sure you could find something similar for less eventually. This would be high retail in my semi-rural Midwest area but you might have to pay more at retail in some urban areas.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Holzy

Holzy Member

Agree with previous posters that the language looks Dutch, but that it doesn't seem to be connected with the dresser. Is the dresser solid wood? It's hard to tell from the picture, but the top looks like a wood laminate to me, is that the case? (if you don't know what that looks like, just see if the top is glossier than the rest of the dresser) Knowing that would help determine value--solid wood is going to be valued higher. From what I can see, it looks like a cute dresser, but probably on the lower end (price and quality wise) of mid century modern furniture.

15. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Writing looks like someones password or hints with the underscore indicating capital letters.

Holzy likes this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The first symbol in each line looks like either a + (plus) or - (minus) sign. I agree it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the piece of furniture.

@Maddie Wegner if you can post larger (and more) photos maybe somebody can tell you more.

Draft saved Draft deleted