Featured Mikimoto Pearls

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Laura1969, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

2. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

I have a piece that is very similar to this. As soon as I saw your picture and I went and found it. However, I cannot find marks anywhere. Could just be pretty costume jewelry. Do you have any advice where else they might hide any kind of maker mark??

judy and Bronwen like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Open the clasp and look on, or even inside, the tongue.
    Some jewellery had a tag, which could have been removed.

judy, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  4. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Deleted. Misread the OP's remarks about marks. I was so confused there for a second! LOL.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

As long as they are not so tightly together that each 7-pearl segment is rigid & unable to conform to the curve of the wrist.

I'm moving toward this position, that knots in the bracelet would have looked odd. I'm wearing a gold & pearl bracelet as I type. Artisan made, the 3-pearl segments are strung on wire, so no knots. But inch long segments are rigid, so the pearls cannot rub against each other, which is what knots are meant to prevent, as well as adding flexibility.

Laura1969 and kyratango like this.
  6. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Just to add, I was wondering if the K14 was likely to be on Mikimoto rather than 14K. I did find more than one example of the letter being before the number.

BTW, here's a Mikimoto necklace with no knots between the pearls.

https://www.hawaiijewelrybuyers.com...24k-yellow-gold-rose-clasp-16-w-original-box/

ETA: after looking around, I found quite a few Mikimoto items without hand-knots. Surprising, but I guess not that unusual.

komokwa likes this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Laura, see if you have a jeweler near you that is a Mikimoto Official Authorized Retailer and bring it to them to see what they say. They would know if the mark is legit and if the bracelet would or would not have been knotted.

judy, Any Jewelry, Rec and 2 others like this.
  8. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

I will check and see if we have one near us.

judy, Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HA!!!!! You've GOT THAT one RIGHT, KOMO!!!!!!:joyful::joyful::rolleyes::rolleyes::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::happy::happy::happy::happy::D

komokwa likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

even a broken clock is right twice a day............................:playful:

Rec and Aquitaine like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Now me, I'd just say "Kitty!" and take the cat home.

12. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I am wondering if they wanted the pearls to be close together and therefore did not knot. The knots create a space. Maybe farfetched but possible.

13. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

You know, that's what my husband was thinking. He said it's such a dainty bracelet that it appears like they wanted them touching. There's no damage from them rubbing together..

14. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

Several members have mentioned running the pearls on your teeth to check for grittiness feeling. How can you tell if it's the pearl grit or the ridges in your teeth that your feeling??

15. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Test them along with pearls you know are costume, you will feel the difference :)

stracci and komokwa like this.
  16. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

In searching Mikimoto pearl bracelets, some seem to be knotted and others not.

17. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't mind a bit of confusion, but in this case both bracelets are without knotting. They both look like Laura's bracelet.

KSW and stracci like this.
  19. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

I think you're right. I must have thought the shadows on the Hawaii jewellery link were knots.

komokwa, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Grateful

Grateful Well-Known Member

While I was posting a different item, a member here spotted some knotted pearls and pointed them out. I then tested every strand I have against some Anne Klein ones. Have a "known" man-made and compare. Another point, this won't work on crowns or veneers, etc. Make sure you use the surface of actual tooth enamel. Good luck! I found real pearls I assumed were costume.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    KSW, patd8643, stracci and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted