Featured Milk Glass Bowl Raised Painted Flowers

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Mar 30, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Recent or old? Suggestions on maker?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

wenna, mymysharona43 and cxgirl like this.
  2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

It is old something like Tree of Life from Atterbury or Dithridge or Chalinor Taylor or???? I will need to spend some book time but it is well enough known that somebody may have a better memory than I.

3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Very pretty. I love the raised design on the inside of the bowl.

4. EAPG

EAPG New Member

George, yes, Challinor, Taylor.

*crs*, 42Skeezix and gregsglass like this.
  5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

As Dori confirmed Challinor, Taylor No 313 aka Tree of Life.

*crs* likes this.
  6. kardinalisimo

Thanks, so it is 313, aka Opal aka Tree Of Life & Dasies. I found someone listed that pattern from 1960's. Isn't it from the late 1800's?

7. EAPG

EAPG New Member

No. 313 aka Tree of Life, 1885. Opal is the color as designated by Challinor. I don't know who added Daisies, but I don't recall seeing it so would forget about it unless you can quote an author or other source for that AKA.

8. kardinalisimo

They are mentioned here
    classes.toledomuseum.org:8080/emuseum/view/objects/asitem/People$00405419/1/invno-desc;jsessionid=257389B731BB5076B7B5D93960F9C635?t:state:flow=e0137817-da1a-40af-8b11-a4b6d2f80f67

9. EAPG

EAPG New Member

Just because it's included in poor description and not as part of the known AKA by an early author doesn't mean it should be added to the already confusing tangle of names we have for patterns. Most important is that there are NO DAISIES in the pattern, they appear to be forget-me-nots although the vines aren't appropriate to that flower. The museum should be informed of their error.

10. EAPG

EAPG New Member

I reread that description and forgot there's a different panel that doesn't show in your photo. But they still aren't daisies as they only have 8 petals and daisies have many more.

11. kardinalisimo

Maybe they are srylized daisies.
    Anyway, I don't think that it matters that much.

12. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

IMHO the floral panel in the first image is sometimes recognized as daisy vine, and there are multiple petals; perhaps 16 or more. Designers very often take artistic liberties in their interpretation of various design elements from nature. This is not to argue what a maker may have named this particular pattern; but it could be conceivable for someone to want to describe this as a daisy panel. And if using the term daisy helps a collector, seller or buyer there is no harm done...

13. EAPG

EAPG New Member

My objection is the adding of more AKA's since the pattern is known as Challinor's Tree of Life and that is sufficient. We just don't need Tree of Life with Daisies, Tree of Life with Daisies and Vines, Tree of Life with Three Panels with Flowers, or anything else. To have people start using it as if it's in the early literature just adds to the problems in EAPG.

14. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

no doubt the use of AKAs in EAPG is rampant and often very confusing with multiple patterns have the same or similar AKA. However, objections wont change that and folks will most likely continue to invent new AKAs as vernacular changes.

15. EAPG

EAPG New Member

Don, it is certain that if those of us who have made this our life's work or are collectors like you who spend time at boards identifying items and who appear to like historical accuracy about what they own don't support and try to educate those who don't realize the facts, you can be sure nothing will change. And of course you're assuming that anyone who reads this won't change.

Draft saved Draft deleted