Featured Milk Glass cake stand

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by TallCakes, Feb 13, 2016.

1. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

TheOldGuy's post about the feel of milk glass got me to thinking about these cake stands. They range in age of 1880s for the 'Challinor, Taylor' and the 'Atterbury' stands to 'Mosser' from 2009.

@TOG: Have to say that to me there is no clearly discernable difference in the 'feel' of the glass; the newer ones may have a bit more drag. The Challinor, Taylor and the VP have the least drag. The AH seems to have just a tiny bit of grit to the feel. Some of the newer ones do seem a bit colder. These are all very opaque white glass except for the AH which is more translucent.

Fenton 'Teardrop' c1955
    Atterbury 'Hand Stem' c1880s
    Duncan & Miller 'Old Hobnail' c1955
    Vallérysthal-Portieux 'Rome' c1913
    Fostoria 'Monroe' c1954
    Indiana Glass 'Constellation' 1940s-80s
    Mosser 'Bakers' Stand' c2009
    Westmoreland 'Paneled Grape' c1940s-1980s
    Anchor Hocking 'Colonial Diamond' c1970s
    Challinor, Taylor 'Hand Painted' c1880s

editIMG_6614.jpg

editIMG_6616.jpg

editIMG_6617.jpg

Pat P, SeaGoat, Bakersgma and 11 others like this.
  2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Great Pictures Tallcakes. Thanks for the info and observations on "feel".

3. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

I always enjoy seeing your collection. I was sitting in the doctor's office reading the Jan/Feb 2016 issue of COUNTRY LIVING MAGAZINE and there is an article on page 22 on milk glass which includes pictures of 3 cake stands. It's an interesting article and reminded me of you.

4. TallCakes

thank you Bdigger and Jen & George : ) Martha Stewart mag also had a cake stand article back in 2010 including photos of stands borrowed from PatternGlass.com

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love your collection of cake stands! Do you ever use any of them?

6. TallCakes

yep, I use them frequently for birthdays, weddings, etc:

editIMG_3725.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Pat P, Figtree3, quirkygirl and 2 others like this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Tall cakes,
    Darn you, now I am so hungry for dessert.:rolleyes:
    greg

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I just peeked at your site Tall Cakes.....you've got some gorgeous stuff!!!!! However, I was a GOOD doobee and did NOT look at "Recipes"......yet......:cool::cool:

TallCakes likes this.
  9. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Now I want some cake!!

TallCakes and Jen and George like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful!

I would love to have one made from milk glass.

I have a couple of glass ones. My photo facilities are not as good as yours, but here is my favorite. The glass is amethyst tinted. Here is one photo with meringue cookies on it, taken a few months ago. And one taken just now.

Chocolate Meringues December 2015 (800x450).jpg

001 (800x600).jpg

11. TallCakes

the chocolate cookies look yummy on your Trellis stand : )

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My cousin collected milk glass. I was not close to her children. When she passed, her daughter asked if I wanted anything. I mentioned the milk glass. That was over a year ago and I haven't heard anything since. :( I'd love to have had her cake stands.

13. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Not fair.

Your collection is fabulous. Much more so than you revealed a while ago.

AND NOW you're showing them with drool causing beauties.

As for the "feel" test, give it a try every so often when you think of it. Shouldn't get any gritty feel. Both smooth, just one "drier, less slippery" than the other.

TallCakes and Jen and George like this.
  14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I tried the milk glass test. Compared a Summer Flowers dresser tray to a marked piece of Westmoreland. I could feel the difference. Westmoreland piece was much "smoother".
    Don

15. TallCakes

I think I agree with your assessment; I just may articulate it a bit differently. Tho' the 'feel' wasn't consistent. The older CT and VP both have a 'dryer' less drag feel (I don't sense a greasy or slippery feel), whereas most of the newer pieces had more drag. So, just my hypothesis, but could that possibly be due to the fire polishing resulting in a slicker finish on older glass?

Jen and George likes this.
  16. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Supposedly, gentlemen, it is because the chemical is in the old and absent in the new that the feel changed. I don't know how to explain it.

17. TallCakes

suppose there may be some formula relation, but each glass house also had their own formulas for their own colors, clarity, etc. Thus, glass of the same time frame was different in many aspects including 'feel'. From my very limited experiment with these limited examples, I can't say that the feel of milk glass would be a reliable test for me. Others may have different results. It's an interesting hypothesis nonetheless...

Draft saved Draft deleted