Ming Tree or Waunto Tree?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kasperscuriosities, May 6, 2016.

1. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

Has anyone ever heard of or know about something called a Ming Tree? I have seen and owned some nice bonsai trees. I still have one. I got really into it for awhile and I know there are bonsai trees that are over 200 years old and they are amazing and extremely expensive to buy. Certainly way out of my line of expertise. ;) This however is something a little different.

The owner told me that he has heard it referred to as a Ming or a Waunto tree.

It was a seedling in the 1780's. Grown for almost 200 years and then cut and put into the setting you see here. All the pieces are hand made and that is all he knows about it. It is really beautiful. I mean I had to ask him if it was a real bonsai at first because from the picture I really couldn't tell if it was a sculpture of some sort or one of those very old bonsai I have seen. I have tried the typical searching for Ming trees or Waunto trees but have come up empty. I mean I am seeing tress but not quite like this one. Just curious if anyone here has ever heard of this. It has to be valuable or so I would think but then again who knows? Sorry the picture isn't any bigger it is all I have to work with.

IMG955486.jpg

2. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

I am reading correctly cut in 1980? If so around that time a new method of preservation of tree life became available. I don't remember the name of the process, but you can buy preserved little trees and such that look alive indefinitely, usually in topiary form.

Kasperscuriosities likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

embalming fluid....:wacky:

Kasperscuriosities likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted